Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   AKo in the BB (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=244168)

Slappz 05-02-2005 01:55 PM

AKo in the BB

This seems like a pretty basic strategy question, but my AK play has been terrible on these tables.

600PL (6max) game, no read on the raiser as i've only played a few orbits and have been multitabling. I didn't want to reraise AK out of position because I always seem to get bet out of missed flops when i'm the raiser.

On the flop, does anyone go for a check raise or just lead into the raiser with a potsized bet?

Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

CO ($185)
Button ($902.21)
SB ($852.55)
Hero ($904.55)
UTG ($472.62)
MP ($636.8)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $21</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $15.

Flop: ($45) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $75</font> ....

Slappz 05-02-2005 02:00 PM

Re: AKo in the BB

Also, how do you guys play AK when your out of position against a raiser, are you check folding if you miss the flop and they take a stab with a continuation bet on the flop?

aggie 05-02-2005 02:27 PM

definitely consider putting in a large rearaise preflop, against a possible steal raise. If he pushes, his stack is small enough that you will have an easy call.

As it is, i definitely prefer leading out on the flop (or check-calling) as opposed to check-raising. This check-raise will allow villian to get away from just about any hand that beats you.

Villian is fairly short stacked so there is no way you can get away from this hand at any point. you're mindset should be, how can i get him all in without making it look like i have a monster. Villian description would be helpful in determining the best line (there are several that work well).

AZK 05-02-2005 03:17 PM

I'm a bit overggressive and excessive in the action that I give to short stacks (but it works out at a full table when I play pots against other big stacks), given the size of his stack I would probably reraise the pot preflop. A lot of people play short stacks without a clue, if he is one of them reraise the pot. If he hasn't played a hand in a year, it's a totally different story.

radioheadfan 05-02-2005 03:21 PM

I like making it $80 to go pre. If he calls set him in on any flop. If he pushes pre call.

A read or at least PT stats here would be pretty helpful.