Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Playing 3 of a kind on the board (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=244045)

Hellmouth 05-02-2005 09:42 AM

Playing 3 of a kind on the board

Just wondering. Say you have three of a kind on the board. If you don't have the 4'th card (to complete the 4 of a kind) in you hand how do you play? This situation came up for me several times this weekend.

If by the turn you have a full house with three of a kind on the board and a 4th card pairing one in your hand, how do you play? Would this change significantly from if the turn card compleated a three of a kind on the board? (eg flop T T T; turn x pairs your hand vs flop T T x; turn T)

Is this a good time for the "really far ahead or really far behind strategy?"

Thanks,
Greg

tiltaholic 05-02-2005 09:48 AM

Re: Playing 3 of a kind on the board

it depends.

(no sarcasm)

wireMan 05-02-2005 09:50 AM

Everything depends on the situation.
What was preflop action like: no raises? no 3-bets? How many people are in on the flop?
What are my two cards: Ax? Kx? pocket pair - big, medium, small?
Most of the time that I've seen three on the board either at the flop or turn, it's a fullhouse that takes the pot, not 4 of a kind.
Usually, unless I have a high or medium pocket pair, I'm out the action quick when three hit the board.

Rosencrantz1 05-02-2005 09:52 AM

The rank of the three on the board is key, too. If it's high cards, it's that much more likely that someone held on to those PF. If it's three fives, it's a little less scary.

Hellmouth 05-02-2005 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Everything depends on the situation.
What was preflop action like: no raises? no 3-bets? How many people are in on the flop?
What are my two cards: Ax? Kx? pocket pair - big, medium, small?
Most of the time that I've seen three on the board either at the flop or turn, it's a fullhouse that takes the pot, not 4 of a kind.
Usually, unless I have a high or medium pocket pair, I'm out the action quick when three hit the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assume 5 players see the flop. No preflop raising.

My feeling is always that even if it is a low card, with so many people are playing Ax, that there is a possibility that it is out.

If I have junk (not too often), I will try to see the turn cheaply for a draw at a full house. If I have an Ace or big broadway cards I will sometimes play agressively to drive people out of the pot knowing that if I dont hit my full house at least I can show down ace high with a three of a kind.

I guess I am most interested in whether or not whether showing agression is the right line, no matter what cards you have. Also, I am curious when you would slow down if another player was betting heavily as well.

Greg

adsman 05-02-2005 10:17 AM

You said it happened to you several times on the weekend. Give us one of the hands that really bothered you.

ErrantNight 05-02-2005 10:52 AM

i try not to get involved in hands when i don't have quads or a straight flush.

kiddj 05-02-2005 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i try not to get involved in hands when i don't have quads or a straight flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, yeah me too. it's safer that way [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Hellmouth 05-02-2005 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You said it happened to you several times on the weekend. Give us one of the hands that really bothered you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to go back through the hand histories on PT and they are on my computer at home. Ill try to post one tonight.

Greg

GrunchCan 05-02-2005 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The rank of the three on the board is key, too. If it's high cards, it's that much more likely that someone held on to those PF. If it's three fives, it's a little less scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necisarrily. If there wasn't any raising PF, limpers and blinds could have anything.