Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Looking for a Dog Breed (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=241013)

davelin 04-27-2005 05:58 PM

Looking for a Dog Breed

My wife and I are looking for a good dog breed that fits our lifestyle. We both work, have no kids, and live in our own condo in the city. So we're looking for a dog that doesn't require a ton of space for exercise. We would also be first-time dog owners. My other requirement is no girly-dogs so no pugs, poodles, bischon frises, etc.

Our ideal would be an English bulldog since they are have low exercise requirements and make great companions. However pups from a breeder range from $1000-$1500.

Anyone with dogs have any suggestions?

Non_Comformist 04-27-2005 05:59 PM

Re: Looking for a Dog Breed

A Lab if it wouldn't be too big.

swede123 04-27-2005 06:01 PM

Did you read his post? He wants a dog that doesn't require a ton of exercise, pretty much the opposite of a Lab.

Look at a Basset Hound. They are pretty cool, not too feminine, and they have no problems with chilling out for days on end. They aren't too bright, which is probably a good thing if you just want a companion dog, as they won't be challenging your dominance etc.

Cheers,

Swede

Eurotrash 04-27-2005 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My other requirement is no girly-dogs so no pugs, poodles, bischon frises, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're selling the poodle a bit short. granted, in its show cuts it looks rather ghey, but when it has a normal coat, a standard poodle is a pretty cool looking and very nice dog.

my two cents.

Dr. Strangelove 04-27-2005 06:03 PM

If you subject a dog to this lifestyle--being alone a lot, not getting much exercise--you are a tool in my book.

The Goober 04-27-2005 06:06 PM

I recommend a welsh corgi. They are very smart, personable, and virtually never bark. They need excersize like any dog, but I don't think they need an inordinate amount. As for cost, I think a show-quality one would be pricey, but in the corgi world occasionally a generic anomaly pops up called a "fluff" (or longhaired, according to some). Fluffs are not showable, so you can get one with good breeding for cheap - the only difference is a longer coat and possibly floppy ears.

My folks went through a serious of bad dog experiences until my mom did some research and decided to get a corgi. Its was by far the best dog they had, and they now have a second one.

M2d 04-27-2005 06:07 PM

seconded

davelin 04-27-2005 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you subject a dog to this lifestyle--being alone a lot, not getting much exercise--you are a tool in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hear about your book. Just being realistic and finding a dog breed that fits us. I know we're not the only couple in the world that works and doesn't have a big backyard. I never said I'm going to neglect the dog, I just don't have a backyard that a dog can run around in.

davelin 04-27-2005 06:09 PM

Thanks, I'll look into the Corgi.

lucas9000 04-27-2005 06:09 PM

get a cat.