Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Another Hollywood Park angleshot (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=238733)

ShawnHoo 04-24-2005 07:29 PM

Another Hollywood Park angleshot

The following came up in a 15/30 at HP Friday night.

"Hero" is a HP regular and likely a small winner in the game. He's on crazy aggro monkey tilt tonight, though. "Villain" is someone I haven't seen before, seems very loose-passive and fishy and probably hasn't been playing poker very long.

Hero's SB, Villain's BB.

Flop: 556 with two hearts

Hero checks, Villain checks, some guy bets, couple of calls, Hero c/r's, Villain calls.

Turn: some heart

Hero bets, Villain calls, everyone else folds.

Right before the river is dealt, Hero goes all-in for his last two chips.

River's another heart. Villain turns his KhTs face-up and places it on the table. Hero tables his 53 offsuit. The dealer then mucks Villain's hand.

It was obvious from the way the action went down that Villain thought Hero was already all-in. Villain got upset and couldn't understand why he wasn't getting the pot. Hero kept chirping about how Villain didn't call the river bet.

The floor was called over and said he was willing to check the tape, but that if Villain didn't call the last bet the pot would be awarded to Hero. After much discussion between the two players, they agreed to chop the pot.

I thought this was a nice gesture on Hero's part, but that he was still a douche for essentially using an angle against a player who made the game better. I'd be interested to see what everyone else thinks here.

TomCollins 04-24-2005 07:46 PM

Re: Another Hollywood Park angleshot

From the looks of it, I wouldn't think its an angleshot. Dealer should have asked the villian what his action was since it wasn't clear.

Randy_Refeld 04-24-2005 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
River's another heart. Villain turns his KhTs face-up and places it on the table. Hero tables his 53 offsuit. The dealer then mucks Villain's hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

How a ahnd is mucked can make a big difference. A lot of dealers pick it up and throw it into the muck, this is incorrect. The proper way to muck the hand is to turn it face down in front of the player and then slide it into the muck. This gives the player a chance to speak up and say he wasn't folding, has the best hand, or just grab his cards back.

ShawnHoo 04-24-2005 08:02 PM

To clarify, I don't think Hero's all-in bet was an angleshot in any way. I think trying to use a strict interpretation of the rules to disqualify the "winning" hand was.

juanez 04-24-2005 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain got upset and couldn't understand why he wasn't getting the pot. Hero kept chirping about how Villain didn't call the river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did Villain call the river bet? I really don't see how Hero making a bet in the dark was angle shooting. This happens all the time.

Very cool of Hero to split the pot IMHO, and this seems to prove he wasn't angle shooting. If he was he would have kept the entire pot regardless of what Villain had to say.

pudley4 04-24-2005 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The following came up in a 15/30 at HP Friday night.

"Hero" is a HP regular and likely a small winner in the game. He's on crazy aggro monkey tilt tonight, though. "Villain" is someone I haven't seen before, seems very loose-passive and fishy and probably hasn't been playing poker very long.

Hero's SB, Villain's BB.

Flop: 556 with two hearts

Hero checks, Villain checks, some guy bets, couple of calls, Hero c/r's, Villain calls.

Turn: some heart

Hero bets, Villain calls, everyone else folds.

Right before the river is dealt, Hero goes all-in for his last two chips.

It was obvious from the way the action went down that Villain thought Hero was already all-in. Villain got upset and couldn't understand why he wasn't getting the pot. Hero kept chirping about how Villain didn't call the river bet.

The floor was called over and said he was willing to check the tape, but that if Villain didn't call the last bet the pot would be awarded to Hero. After much discussion between the two players, they agreed to chop the pot.

I thought this was a nice gesture on Hero's part, but that he was still a douche for essentially using an angle against a player who made the game better. I'd be interested to see what everyone else thinks here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did the board double pair? Was the turn or river a 3? Otherwise Hero wins anyway.

Spook 04-25-2005 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Did the board double pair? Was the turn or river a 3? Otherwise Hero wins anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian had the K high flush vs. trip fives.

andyfox 04-25-2005 01:15 AM

I'm in favor of no bet being allowed before the card (or cards) for that round are dealt. Whenever a guy bets blind before the card is dealt, there's always confusion.

andyfox 04-25-2005 01:48 AM

Hero has trip 5s, villain has a flush. Perhaps you're questioning who should have been called hero, and who villain.

Rick Nebiolo 04-25-2005 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in favor of no bet being allowed before the card (or cards) for that round are dealt. Whenever a guy bets blind before the card is dealt, there's always confusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree but that won't happen. Besides, Tommy loves "darkness".

A good floor will recognize that the dark bet caused the confusion, and it is inconcievable that a king high flush wouldn't call 1/3 of a bet on the river.

~ Rick