Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Poll: 55 on the button (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=238352)

bleu329 04-24-2005 01:49 AM

Poll: 55 on the button

You are playing 10/20 NL and a mainiacal player in MP makes it $70 to go with $1000 behind. It is folded to you on the button and you see 55.

AZK 04-24-2005 12:38 PM

Re: Poll: 55 on the button

fold

nebben 04-24-2005 12:52 PM

Why fold. You could flop a 5, bet out small and have him raise you his stack. If he was tight passive this would be a fold.

AZK 04-24-2005 01:19 PM

Maniac - they raise wtih a wide range of hands so you don't necessarily know what this is. Eitherway, every street will most likely be expensive. The call is 7% of your stack, not great, no other callers, I don't really like it.

Recently, I think calling pairs heads up against maniacs has been costing me real money, calling against people that won't pay off has been costing me theoretical money.

Chad97 04-24-2005 01:46 PM

It would be big -EV to fold here. Put in your $70 and see the flop. If he then makes an obvious overbet I would push
in this situation.

italianstang 04-24-2005 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Recently, I think calling pairs heads up against maniacs has been costing me real money, calling against people that won't pay off has been costing me theoretical money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent reasoning AZK. Me too, this is something I have had to learn the hard way. It is such a juicy looking situation when you can get heads up with a raising maniac and you have the ability to flop a set and break him, but this just puts too many iff's in the situation. What if you don't flop a five? Its gonna be tough to have 55 be overcards. What if you flop a 5 and there are three diamonds out there and it kills all action you would get? What if you flop a five with three diamonds and he pushes all-in? What if *gasp* you don't flop a 5? Then he just won a $200 pot by exploiting weak/passive play. If this was 10/20 no limit and you both had 10k in front of you, different ballgame.

Huskiez 04-24-2005 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be big -EV to fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding is 0 EV.

Sigma 04-24-2005 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be big -EV to fold here. Put in your $70 and see the flop. If he then makes an obvious overbet I would push
in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero never put in any money into the pot so it would be impossible for the Hero to have a -EV. Hero MIGHT not be optimizing his EV, and that's what the question of discussion is right now. I'm not putting any money in after the flop unless a 5 flops so I’m not going to be calling the pre-flop raise unless this maniac is very maniacal.

Chad97 04-24-2005 04:42 PM

I was just talking in general terms. Playing a hand like
this against a "Maniac" can be very profitable. Especially
since if he flops a set it wont likely stop the Villian
from trying to push him post flop

ceczar 04-24-2005 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding is 0 EV

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hero never put in any money into the pot so it would be impossible for the Hero to have a -EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're in the hand, and there's money in the pot. You have at least some equity, so it is certainly possible to have negative EV in this situation.