Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   I am a gambler (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=236869)

Demana 04-21-2005 05:02 PM

I am a gambler

I am a gambler.

My nature is to take risks that have the possibility of huge rewards. Not many people can understand this type of thinking: leaving the norm to go into unchartered territory; and I am finally learning that it is ok that they are different from me. I am who I am and if they choose not to accept me, then that is ok because it is their choice, there is nothing I can do about it.

It has taken quite a bit of work to finally realize and accept that I am a gambler. I was addicted to gambling once when I was younger and it took many years of concious effort to break that habit of trying for the "quick win". Poker has helped me understand how to view the long term and GTOT has helped me understand my risk taking nature. I continue to gain a better understanding of who I am, whether at the poker table or in life.

SomethingClever 04-21-2005 05:45 PM

Re: I am a gambler

This is interesting, because I am the exact opposite, and yet I play poker too.

The game attracts all types...

BigChris407 04-22-2005 04:57 PM

I like that. I also believe poker is helping me understand my nature and I try to apply the poker lessons to my real life. I have one question though. A few days ago you answered a post and basically said poker is not for me. Now that I have a better perspective on yourself, why would you answer me like that given what you have just said. Am I missing something??

PairTheBoard 04-22-2005 08:42 PM

Demana: "Poker has helped me understand how to view the long term "

When I was a kid "the long run" was a Principle my dad drilled into me over and over again. Those who understand and apply this principle have a Big advantage over the multitude of people who don't. imo, It should be taught and retaught every year in grade school.

PairTheBoard

Demana 04-22-2005 08:45 PM

I've been thinking about your post for a while and how others responded. The response I gave was in direct relation to your comment about wanting to jump in and be the best and that you would give up if it was apparent that you were not. Poker is a very long term game and you will need to admit many times throughout your playing career that not only are you not the best, you may actually be the worst person playing. That's the only way that you can take an objective look at your game and fix the problems that exist.

Take a gander at NateThaGreat's post. Here we have someone who is well respected and plays in fairly high limit games, and yet he is questioning his readiness for an even higher limit game. It takes that kind of admission to be able to move past the blocking barriers and continue the journey of being a winning player.

Dan Mezick suggested a book a while back that has had a dramatic influence on my life, perhaps it may help you too. The book is called Mastery by George Leonard (ISBN: 0-452-26756-0). You might find who you currently are in there; and a path to the person you truly want to be.

Demana 04-22-2005 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Demana: "Poker has helped me understand how to view the long term "

When I was a kid "the long run" was a Principle my dad drilled into me over and over again. Those who understand and apply this principle have a Big advantage over the multitude of people who don't. imo, It should be taught and retaught every year in grade school.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it does help in regards to looking at odds and whether or not you're getting the best of it, but the drawback is that people are always thinking about the future rather than focusing on the present.

Perhaps if we could correctly refine how to explain the concept so that it is understood and used in the correct way, but not taken out of context or used to ignore the current happenings. Hmmm...

mungpo 04-22-2005 09:48 PM

Just as somethingclever said, I am completely opposite. Gambling isn't what draws me to poker, its the competition and skill involved that makes me want to improve and win.

I see poker as my own personal stock business. The more time I invest, the bigger the profit will be over a long period of time.

bernie 04-22-2005 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The book is called Mastery by George Leonard (ISBN: 0-452-26756-0).

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant to tell you I read this book. It has some interesting insights in it.

b

jordanx 04-23-2005 01:51 AM

Hi Demana,

How did you kick your gambling habit?

Zoltri 04-23-2005 04:37 AM

I used to be a gambler.
Today, I'm a grinder.

Understand? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]