Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   My turn to misplay KQ (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=235514)

Phil Van Sexton 04-19-2005 01:56 PM

My turn to misplay KQ

This is 2 hands after the JJ hand. In that hand, the button raised, I pushed from the BB with JJ, and he called me with KQ and lost.

I thought that was awful by him. In a twist of fate, now I have KQ on the button. Can I do any better?

Background:
- Villain hadn't been involved in any big hands. He min-raised once at level 2 and limped on several other occasions, but never showed a hand.
- I had been the button once already at level 3. Folded to me with AKs. I raise to 150, blinds fold.
- On the previous hand, the Villian limped UTG and called a 175 raise from the BB. BB checks the flop, villian bets 2/3 pot, BB min-checkraises, villian mucks.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter

SB (t2990)
BB (t585)
UTG (t1150)
MP1 (t1335)
MP2 (t655)
CO (t1180)
Hero (t2105)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t585 (All-In)</font>, Hero ???

Apathy 04-19-2005 02:02 PM

Re: My turn to misplay KQ

I might be the only one, but I think you have to call this. Especially since you raised the same guy on this level last time on the button, you stand to do well against his hand range. Your getting great pot odds, and if you lose 430 more chips that's not such a big deal since you will still have a good stack for level 4 and 5.

syka16 04-19-2005 02:03 PM

Gotta call with a hand with over .36 equity against his push range. KQo should be good.

Apathy 04-19-2005 02:03 PM

Oh, and also folding this kills some of your folding equity later on, since people will see this as a steal, but if you call the fish will say... OHHH he wasn't stealing he had a *monster* like KQ.

gasgod 04-19-2005 02:06 PM

You're almost certainly behind, but you have to call with these odds. JMHO

GG

Phil Van Sexton 04-19-2005 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I might be the only one, but I think you have to call this. Especially since you raised the same guy on this level last time on the button, you stand to do well against his hand range. Your getting great pot odds, and if you lose 430 more chips that's not such a big deal since you will still have a good stack for level 4 and 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did call, of course. Maybe I should have asked the question differently.

My only decision was whether to fold preflop or not. When I bet 150, I had already decided I would call if the BB pushed.

What would you do preflop here?

curtains 04-19-2005 02:48 PM

I would have done the same. No way I'm folding KQo on the button!!!! And you have to call the reraise.

The Yugoslavian 04-19-2005 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What would you do preflop here?

[/ QUOTE ]

So....Phil is asking about pre-flop play?!?! Wowie zowie!!

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Generally on level 3 I will fold or call with KQ in $33s and lower. Above that buyin I'd probably be more likely to fold or raise it.

In this situation I'd most likely limp. Most BB's aren't sophisticated enough to pull a 'Phil Van Sexton' on me and are likely to spew chips if I hit the flop (either b/c they hit it too or they bet later streets). Also, the SB will be encouraged to come along for the ride....if he's got a weaker K or Q, I'm gonna take quite a few of his chips too.

I don't mind folding here at all, btw.

I don't think raising is worth it at all in this situation...the risk/reward isn't juicy enough for me.

Yugoslav

Newt_Buggs 04-19-2005 02:58 PM

Before reading this post I would have definitly raised, but now I think that limping (or folding depending on the table) is the best play. I really don't want to create an image of a blind stealer just to take a stab at 75 chips with a marginally good hand. Limping puts you in good shape to catch a good flop or try a position bet.

pooh74 04-19-2005 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before reading this post I would have definitly raised, but now I think that limping (or folding depending on the table) is the best play. I really don't want to create an image of a blind stealer just to take a stab at 75 chips with a marginally good hand. Limping puts you in good shape to catch a good flop or try a position bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think the chances are you're gonna get popped by the BB with his stack?

Not a loaded question, just curious.