Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Cellphone insurance (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=233938)

Nate tha' Great 04-17-2005 12:47 AM

Cellphone insurance

My friend and I had a little discussion about this. After losing his cellphone recently, he bought a new phone, but also bought cellphone insurance, the parameters of which are as follows:

- Monthly charge of $4.
- If he loses or damages his phone, he's allowed to replace it with the same model for $50. The phone he has retails for around $200.
- The insurance lasts for as long as he maintains a contract with his current provider (or he elects to terminate his insurance). He has roughly a year and a half remaining on his current contract, and can renew it in two-year intervals under the same terms. Let's assume for purposes of this discussion that his contract is a reasonably good deal at the present time.

Is the insurance +EV? Does it depend on how much of a klutz he is? What would Sklansky say?

fluxrad 04-17-2005 12:51 AM

Re: Cellphone insurance

Did your friend also take the 6 free issues of Sports Illustrated from Best Buy when offered?

Nate tha' Great 04-17-2005 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did your friend also take the 6 free issues of Sports Illustrated from Best Buy when offered?

[/ QUOTE ]

On a recent trip to Best Buy, the [censored] clerk got herself so flummoxed while trying to sell me various "free" things that she rung up my order wrong and I wound up getting this badass playstation game for free. So that SI offer is definitely +EV IMO.

fluxrad 04-17-2005 12:56 AM

Check your HTML. You accidentally linked to "Fight Night."

So what was the badass game you got for free?

[censored] 04-17-2005 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check your HTML. You accidentally linked to "Fight Night."

[/ QUOTE ]

definently bad ass.

MarkL444 04-17-2005 01:03 AM

PS2 sucks. phone inurance is probably +EV for a few months, not forever.

fluxrad 04-17-2005 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PS2 sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, the correct answer was: "PS2 is the way and the light and you are a giant douche if you don't own one."

How much did you wager?

Alobar 04-17-2005 01:17 AM

I had my old phone for close to year until I broke it accidently. So I go buy a new phone, was like $300, guy tries to sell me the insurance, i think to myself "[censored] that, what a rip, im not gunna break ANOTHER phone" . Here I am 4 months later using a phone that barely works because I dropped it in the pool on accident. R%$#$%#^@#%$^ !!!!! I wish I had insurance on it now.

If you dont use a cheap phone, and dont want to buy a cheap phone should something happen, I definately think the insurance is +EV.

On a semi related side note, I have to say samsung makes a damn good phone, cuz after I dropped it in the pool, I dropped it in the pool again like two weeks later (yes, im a dumbass) and it STILL works......it works poorly, and its annoying as hell, but it does actually work.

Patrick del Poker Grande 04-17-2005 01:52 AM

As long as you're not a retard who busts his phone every other month, then this insurance is the lamest, most dumbass deal I've ever heard of.

MarkL444 04-17-2005 01:55 AM

ive had one, it sucks.