Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   "I Started Playing Online after seeing the WPT on the Travel Channel" (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=233061)

Grisgra 04-15-2005 11:27 AM

\"I Started Playing Online after seeing the WPT on the Travel Channel\"

Just curious as to see what % of folks started playing regularly online after seeing the WPT on the Travel Channel.

Evan 04-15-2005 11:36 AM

Re: \"I Started Playing Online after seeing the WPT on the Travel Chann

If the wsop did it, do I fall into "other"?

Grisgra 04-15-2005 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the wsop did it, do I fall into "other"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap!

Too late to edit . . . I was interested in keeping the WPT separate (as I think it's interesting that as many as 20% or 30% of the folks here might have started playing poker because of a show on the freakin' TRAVEL channel, just as the poker boom was starting up -- the WSOP didn't get popular until the poker boom was well on its way) but still, it deserved it's own slot.

Just put it in "Other" for now, I guess [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

AncientPC 04-15-2005 01:38 PM

I found Party Poker off Suprnova.org . . .

Grisgra 04-15-2005 02:34 PM

Re: \"I Started Playing Online after seeing the WPT on the Travel Channel\"

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious as to see what % of folks started playing regularly online after seeing the WPT on the Travel Channel.

[/ QUOTE ]

9 out of 47, or about 20% so far, started because of a show on the freaking TRAVEL channel . . .

charlie_t_jr 04-15-2005 03:23 PM

2nd option for me. Played in a weekly home game, was flipping through the channels and came upon the WPT. Like the 1st or 2nd show, and saw an ad for Party. The rest is hysteria.

spydog 04-15-2005 03:56 PM

FWIW, I had developed a profitable card-counting hobby since I lived so close to Vegas (Phoenix, AZ). One day, a fellow co-worker who knew I played BJ told me that one of his buddies was making money on Party Poker. So, I started playing Yahoo Hold 'Em (yea, 9 people to a capped flop) and picked up the Lee Jones classic. Within 3 weeks I made my $300 deposit into PP and haven't had to redeposit since (now that's BR management!). That was 15 months ago.

adamstewart 04-15-2005 03:58 PM

When I think back, for me I think is was seeing The World Series of Poker televised.

I thought, "Hmmm ... that Texas Hold'em seems like an interesting form of poker..."

Adam

MicroBob 04-15-2005 04:49 PM

My background is similar. I started playing online shortly before the WPT.

I was making money counting cards at blackjack in Tunica.

In January, 2003 the WPO was in town so a zillion poker-players were running around all over the place.

One guy was sitting at a $25-min double-deck BJ game with me at the Horseshoe and was talking with the BJ dealer (who used to deal poker) about such things as 'i just got knocked out of the satellite. flopped the nut-straight but some guy caught a boat on the river.'
I had no idea WTF he was saying.
I didn't even know what a satellite was much less a flop or the nuts or a boat.

I told him that the poker over there looked interesting but I would be afraid to play because I don't even know how and i was pretty sure the sharks would eat me alive (I had seen Rounders).
He nodded in agreement with that sentiment and suggested I could learn to play online.
I said 'You can play poker on the internet?'
'Oh sure. Even for play-money if you want.'

Did a google search a few days later and pokerstars was the site I went to for whatever reason.

Later did a google search for 'poker strategy articles' and eventually that got me over to 2+2.

Again, this was a few months before the WPT debuted.
I got my start all thanks to some guy in a black-leather jacket with an ace of spades tattoo on his forearm.

meow_meow 04-15-2005 04:50 PM

You have ignored the "Rounders" factor.

Shame on you