Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Beer + Tomato Juice (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=230391)

bd8802 04-11-2005 05:58 PM

Beer + Tomato Juice

Does anyone put tomato juice in their regular beer? I think it is a regional thing. I happen to think it is awesome.

stanky 04-11-2005 06:02 PM

Re: Beer + Tomato Juice

I've never heard of anyone doing this.

-Pete

Benal 04-11-2005 06:03 PM

My old man does this all the time, with black pepper on top. It's drinkable, but I'll pass...

bd8802 04-11-2005 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My old man does this all the time, with black pepper on top. It's drinkable, but I'll pass...

[/ QUOTE ]

my old man puts salt in his beer. i never really got that one.

GoblinMason (Craig) 04-11-2005 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my old man puts salt in his beer. i never really got that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

My grandma does this. It seems like it might be good, but I never remember to try it.

I'm a little more skeptical about the tomatoe juice, but I wouldn't mind trying it.

MicroBob 04-11-2005 06:11 PM

That's one of the weirdest things I've ever heard.

Then again, I recently met an elderly couple who both put a pinch of salt in their coffee (said it takes away the bitterness).

Phat Mack 04-11-2005 06:12 PM

Good on a hot summer afternoon. In Texas it's called a "Red Eye" or "Red Dog." Replace the tomato juice with lemonade or 7-up and it's called a "Shandy."

bd8802 04-11-2005 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good on a hot summer afternoon. In Texas it's called a "Red Eye" or "Red Dog." Replace the tomato juice with lemonade or 7-up and it's called a "Shandy."

[/ QUOTE ]

We are more simple here in Kansas. It is just a "red beer".

You can try orange juice + beer too. It is pretty solid.

benfranklin 04-11-2005 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone put tomato juice in their regular beer? I think it is a regional thing. I happen to think it is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called a red beer, and it is very prevalent in the midwest, particularly in rural areas. Even in the bigger cities, if you go into a neighborhood bar and order a red beer, they will know what you want.

I worked construction in rural Nebraska one summer. Every bar had a pitcher of tomato juice next to the beer taps. If you ordered a draft beer, the default was red beer, and you had to specify that you didn't want tomato juice in it.

stanky 04-11-2005 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can try orange juice + beer too. It is pretty solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note to self: Never move to Kansas. You'll be so bored that you'll start putting things in your beer.

-Pete