Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Last hand in Aruba. Did Brenes play right? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=228357)

Smoothcall 04-08-2005 04:51 AM

Last hand in Aruba. Did Brenes play right?

Last hand on the Aruba tournament. Blinds were 50-100k i believe. Layne raised with 99's up to something like 460k. Brenes moves in with pocket 22's. Is Eric's play good or bad?

Michael Davis 04-08-2005 06:20 AM

Re: Last hand in Aruba. Did Brenes play right?

Not enough info. If there's any chance Flack has enough chips to warrant a fold sometimes, then yeah good play. If he doesn't, calling and pushing the flop might be better.

-Michael

Sluss 04-08-2005 06:41 AM

I believe they each had 4M behind with Brenes only having Lane outchipped by a few chips.

It did seem like Brenes did not want to see a flop vs. Lane. It might just be because that was the way it was edited. Seemed like his strategy was to wait for a big hand and push. So it was probably a re-steal that he figured he had big FE on and would be coinflipping if Lane woke up with a hand.

zaxx19 04-08-2005 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It did seem like Brenes did not want to see a flop vs. Lane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lane Flack is arguably the best NLH player in the world(when he is on his game), I think this was a smart line. By line I mean forcing the issue preflop, not necessarily this hand.

Rianna 04-08-2005 07:33 AM

That's an easy one..terrible play because it was for 1/2 million dollars.

Horrible spot to make a move, rediculious with same chip stack roughly.

One of THE worst plays I've seen for that kind of money. He tried to give Lane $500,000 and couldn't.

Sorry Lane he's not in your league IMHO, horrible beat head up.

zaxx19 04-08-2005 07:36 AM

I doubt even Brenes thinks he is in Lane's league.

He mentioned in his interview that he plays "occasionally".

TheJackal 04-08-2005 08:10 AM

Bad push, if you get called you are in deep trouble. I don't know what hands he was hoping layne would fold, but to me when someone makes a massive raise/re-raise preflop or even on the flop, its usually means they don't want to be called (massive, not standard if you know what I mean).

RowdyZ 04-08-2005 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Last hand on the Aruba tournament. Blinds were 50-100k i believe. Layne raised with 99's up to something like 460k. Brenes moves in with pocket 22's. Is Eric's play good or bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eric's play here is great nothing wrong at all. Now Brenes pushing with pocket 2's.. thats another question.
At Best Brenes is a coin flip againist 2 overs at worst he is a huge dog to another pair I think wait for another spot. IF he was short stacked and the blinds were pushing him yeah it would be a good play but from what I have read in this thread that wasn't case.

zaxx19 04-08-2005 09:38 AM

Im sorry Jackal I hope you dont think I liked the move I did not.

I was just speaking generally, about his strategy HU...didnt seem like he wanted to get into post flop play very much, and in his place I would play similiarly.(though not that specific hand).

Smoothcall 04-08-2005 10:27 AM

While i like your style of play, as i play similarly. But being 22's may be too small. You can make a justification of pushing with a ton of hands if you can move with 22's. But i think its close because Layne raises alot. And brenes will be outplayed if he just keeps taking flops with Layne. So my answer is if your the better player it is a bad play to move there as you can find a better spot than this. If you are the worse its closer. They were both close to even in chips i believe.