Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   overcard situation that ive been having trouble with... what do? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=220947)

mithong 03-27-2005 01:38 PM

overcard situation that ive been having trouble with... what do?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, SB folds, BB calls.

River: (10.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

so ive had a lot of problems dealing with overcards lately... and i believe its a big leak in my game.

so the pot is pretty big heading into the flop... i see two hearts and a 23 for a possible straight draw, but I feel i have to protect my hand/draw... check/raise isnt going to do me much good as i have a LAA to my left so I bet out..

and then bam a king hits on the turn thats not a heart.. so i bet out and get callers

and then an ace hits the board, i get my two pair, but theres a possible flush and a 45 straight which im not too worried about

but I bet out anyways... and call the raise (i know that im beaten at ths point)

is this how I was supposed to play it

and what if heading into the flop it was only like 4 SB... should I have just checked my overcards?

UncleSalty 03-27-2005 01:44 PM

Re: overcard situation that ive been having trouble with... what do?

Me too.

I have a feeling this is probably a common question, so I apologize if there are recent threads that answer it. Any expert help on the overcards question related to pot size and # of opponents would be much appreciated.

PokerProdigy 03-27-2005 01:54 PM

I think that you played this hand ok. I guess you could check and then fold on the flop since you have NO other outs besides two overcards. But since, there was 10 small bets out there on the flop I like the flop bet. If the pot was smaller (e.g. like 4 small bets) than yeah, I think you definitely have to check and hope to see the turn for free, and if anyone bets the flop then you got to get out.

PokerProdigy 03-27-2005 02:01 PM

After thinking about this for a few more minutes I relized that checking the flop (in the 10 small bets pot) and then folding if someone else bets may actually be the best play. For one, you are NOT very likely to limit the field; but more importantly is the fact that your two overcards are most likely NOT all live outs. For example, if an ace or king of hearts falls you may be in trouble, and if any ace comes you may be up against a straight or two pair.

the_rookie 03-27-2005 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
should I have just checked my overcards?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would, only because our bet isn't driving out draws on the flop or the turn. We are basically committing two bets drawing to 4 clean outs. The two AK non-hearts.

If I were to bet this out on the flop, I want to take the button. With two opponents in front I'm not likely to drive out both players.

Our position sucks.

[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

jaxUp 03-27-2005 02:24 PM

check the flop, call a single bet. 3 outs, and the odds to do it.

MrEngenic 03-27-2005 03:08 PM

I would also bet the flop here. You played this fine except for the river. The A completes two draws so you should check and call. If they raise you knowing that you raised preflop you will probably be beat. If you check you can make someone with a missed draw or a worse hand bet (A rag for instance). If it is bet and raised behind you you should fold.
So check the river!

Rev. Good Will 03-27-2005 03:15 PM

nice hand, I'd play it the same, except maybe check/call the river.

J.DP 03-27-2005 03:18 PM

Checking this river is bad in my opinion.

You have top two pair against two opponents who are probably really loose. This is an easy value bet.

I'm paying off a raise also.

elbuddha 03-27-2005 03:32 PM

One thing I've been trying to force myself to do after raising pre-flop with overcards and whiffing the flop with lots of callers is:

"Okay, what are my redraws?"