Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   AK limp reraise (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=218016)

Gamblor 03-22-2005 03:05 PM

AK limp reraise

Reasonable game. Villain is very Lag but good and thinking. Will reraise to isolate a lot, plays a lot of hands.

I have $900, Villain has $550

5-5 NL hold em. I limp UTG with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. another limper, and a good player makes it $15 to go. Villain on button makes it $30. SB calls 30 cold, and I decide to make a play for the pot right there and make it $130 to go. Villain thinks for a while and calls. He starts whining about how I must have Aces when he has Kings, etc. etc.

Villain calls.

2 to the flop ($315): Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

What's my plan?

Usagi_yo 03-22-2005 03:28 PM

Re: AK limp reraise

Ignore any comments during the hand, unless you are for sure otherwise.

Way #1.

Villian has $420 left. Make a bet that would committ all his chips should he call. Like $250+. If he called he's committed. Yet if he thinks he's beat, he can easily fold and be satisfied with $420 left to play with.

Way #2.

You only have $120 invested in this pot. You flopped nothing. Check with intent to fold to a bet. Should you get checked back and pick up the flush draw ... play for value.

montechristo 03-22-2005 05:54 PM

yes ignore the comments, but what hands can you see him calling 130 pf with? jacks or better? would he have reraised with AA/KK/QQ? A 250-300 bet looks good about half the time.

fsuplayer 03-22-2005 06:21 PM

move in here. i would hate to bet 250 and have to fold for the rest with those BD draws.

CanKid 03-22-2005 06:25 PM

He has 330 left so I think I'm pushing here majority of time, unless he'll call with 88 type hand.

Was this at Niagara? I didn't know GBH had NL rings if it was there.

Hope it worked out.

FoxwoodsFiend 03-22-2005 07:11 PM

I would check. You can't possibly plan on representing AA-he's already called preflop so he's not entertaining the thought of you having AA seriously enough to fold (keep in mind he's not that deep). You made a play, got caught, and there's no point in turning that into a 500 dollar mistake.

Dr. Strangelove 03-22-2005 07:18 PM

If villain is not an idiot you cannot be in the lead here. Worst case scenario he has QQ, maybe AA, best case, AK or JJ. Do whatever would put the fear of god into AA. If there is nothing you could do to make him fold AA, and I think this is probably the case given the stack sizes, give up or make him fold JJ/AK as cheaply as possible. You don't have to move in here to make him fold AK/JJ. Doing something off the wall like betting the absolute minimum on the flop and half the pot on the turn would probably be scarier.

Usagi_yo 03-22-2005 07:18 PM

Thats just about the best advice. Don't make costly mistakes thinking you can carry through on a bluff.

FoxwoodsFiend 03-22-2005 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doing something off the wall like betting the absolute minimum on the flop and half the pot on the turn would probably be scarier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see the fear in villain's head as we speak. "Oh god, he keeps betting so little, I have to call. I just have to. I hope that when we flip over our cards after this extended milking session he has AK or some pair I'm beating."

PokerFink 03-22-2005 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would check.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Unless he he stupid, I don't think he is folding his JJ or KK if he called with them preflop, because he obviously doesn't think you have AA. And I doubt you're going to convince him you have a Q if he has JJ. Just check.