Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Possibly buying this from dell?? any help would be greatly appreciated (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=214856)

craig r 03-17-2005 03:08 AM

Possibly buying this from dell?? any help would be greatly appreciated

I am thinking of getting this computer from dell. I don't have tons of money, but I want something that will work and do what I want:

Dell 6000
Pentium M 1.5
WSUXGA
512 (2 dimms..will upgrade later myself)
60 GB HD (4400 rpm i think)
Accidental Protection

I know the screen will allow me to four table, but will I be able to run PT and GT+ as well as 4 table?

My current desktop is a couple of years old:

40 GB HD
768 RAM
AMD Athlon 1.15 Ghz

Which one has better performance and speed?

Last question: Are refurbished Dell's (particular 8600) worth buying?

Thanks for any help with this.

craig

craig r 03-17-2005 05:34 AM

Re: Possibly buying this from dell?? any help would be greatly appreci

shameless bump.

someone's gotta be able to help me.

thanks,

craig

Frequitude 03-17-2005 06:23 AM

Re: Possibly buying this from dell?? any help would be greatly appreciated

I don't really know "ideally cost effective" specs for a poker computer, but get a 7200rpm HD! This is really important, as the 4400rpm one will just serve as a huge bottleneck in your system.

Cruisers 03-17-2005 09:38 AM

Craig,

I just got my 6000 about a week ago and love it if that helps.

There are alot of computer experts on this board, so I won't pretend to know the technical stuff. All I can say is that I've been multi-tabling at multiple sites, with browser, music and whatever else running and I have no problems. The wireless is sweet. I went with the 750 processor (same as you) but did not upgrade the hardrive to 7200 but I don't run PT non-stop like everyone else here (yet).

The WUXGA screen is awesome. I feel like I can do 10 things at once on it. I find that the 15.4" screen is just fine, though if I'm not playing poker I'll scale back the resolution a little to make things more readable. It's fine at max resolution, but I can see how it'd be an eyestrain for everyday tasks when not playing poker.

One other thing, I did upgrade the battery to 9 cell and I love the fact that it lasts so long away from a power source. Something to consider. I don't know how much longer the 9-cell really lasts to be honest, but I get a lot of utility out of the longer battery life, so I went for it.

Hope this helps.

edit: hey, i'm a newbie...woo hoo! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Lost Wages 03-17-2005 10:36 AM

Dell 6000

Consider the 6000d which has a dedicated graphics card rather than integrated graphics.

WSUXGA

There is no such thing as WSUXGA. There is WSXGA+ which is 1680x1050 and there is WUXGA which is 1920x1200. If you want 4 tables without overlap then you need WUXGA.

512 (2 dimms..will upgrade later myself)

The 6000 has 2 Dimm sockets. If you want to upgrade later then get the 512MB 1 Dimm (+$50). That way you can add another 512MB Dimm later for a total of 1GB. Otherwise you will have to throw away the 2 256MB Dimms that come with it and buy 2 512MB's to get to 1GB. If you are sure you are going to upgrade then it's cheaper to get the single Dimm now.

Lost Wages