Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   A question for aethists (and Sklansky) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=214602)

Shoe 03-16-2005 07:41 PM

A question for aethists (and Sklansky)

What if aliens landed on earth tomorrow and they also turned out to be Christian (or the same as any other religion currently worshiped on earth).

How would you feel about that? Would it change your views? Of course this is only in theory.

David Sklansky 03-16-2005 08:26 PM

Re: A question for aethists (and Sklansky)

That would be stong evidence that the religion is true. Why do you ask such an obvious question?

Shoe 03-16-2005 08:31 PM

Perhaps, your beliefs are so strong that you would still not believe. But your right, now that I think about it more the evidence would be pretty overwhelming.

Or some might think these are the same aliens that started religion and built the pyramids while they were at it.

KidPokerX 03-16-2005 11:21 PM

we can instigate another religious movement ... or simply accept such theororetical debates, like the one in question, as nonsense.
That, or nominate David Sklansky as God and call it done with.

-KidPokerX

akudlac 03-16-2005 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps, your beliefs are so strong that you would still not believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you have this whole thing backwards?

Christians as a group ignore evidence due to their strong beliefs. Unless they can fit aliens into the Bible somehow(reinterprete an parable maybe?).

Atheists are the group open to convincing.

[ QUOTE ]
But your right, now that I think about it more the evidence would be pretty overwhelming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any evidence would help.

Mayhap 03-17-2005 12:04 AM

I'm sorry but I can't get the image of plastic icons on the saucer dashbaoard out of my mind.

/M

Harv72b 03-17-2005 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What if aliens landed on earth tomorrow and they also turned out to be Christian (or the same as any other religion currently worshiped on earth).

How would you feel about that? Would it change your views? Of course this is only in theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, we've all seen Stargate--they're all false gods. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I do think that Zechariah Sitchin would have a field day if this ever happened, though.

parttimepro 03-17-2005 02:26 AM

What if aliens landed, and they regarded all religion as primitive superstition that they outgrew thousands of years ago?

Snoogins47 03-17-2005 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps, your beliefs are so strong that you would still not believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Christians as a group ignore evidence due to their strong beliefs. Unless they can fit aliens into the Bible somehow(reinterprete an parable maybe?).

[ QUOTE ]
But your right, now that I think about it more the evidence would be pretty overwhelming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any evidence would help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm no religious type, but to say that Atheists as a group are open to convincing is a broad generalization that is just not true. I will grant that there's a huge number of folks that will close their ears at any insinuation that the Bible is false (it's well, extremely short of possible to deny this), but there's also a huge number of folks who profess staunch Atheism with reasoning along the lines of "The Bible is a fairytale," or "I listen to Tool."

I compare it personally to the political "debate" these days. Find me an ignorant neo-con, and an ignorant neo-lib, and while I'll probably agree a good deal more with what the liberal says, they're both morons.

I think really that the problem with the whole religious "debate" is that the most powerful weapon either side uses is the shameless thrusting of the burden of proof onto their opponents.

Shoe 03-17-2005 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your wrong. Hard-core aethists are just as bad as hard-core Christians these days.