Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Tournament Hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=213233)

Daniel Durant 03-14-2005 08:50 PM

Tournament Hand

This hand was played in a Party MTT. We are still relitively early in the tournament. I am in the big blind with 770. Blinds are 25-50. I am dealt T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. EP player who is neither loose or tight with a big stack limps in. I don't have much of a read on him otherwise. SB who is very loose completes and I check. Flops comes T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB checks, I bet 100 into 150 pot and EP calls and SB folds. Pot now 450. Turn is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet 200 and EP goes allin. Pot is now 1270 and I have 420 left. What should I do?

sloth469 03-14-2005 09:01 PM

Re: Tournament Hand

Not get yourself into this situation. You need to either push or check fold that flop. You are too short to be playing around w/ probe bets and the like. Make a read and live or die here with it.

-sloth

Superfluous Man 03-14-2005 09:06 PM

I'd fold that river even getting 3:1. There are almost no hands that you are ahead of right now (you can't call on the off chance he's bluffing with mid pair or with the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] + overcard). And when you are behind, you are drawing dead to a straight or a made flush.

Of course, I probably would have played this hand a lot differently. First, I may even check-fold the flop. He'll be calling with any diamond draw here, and there are almost no cards I am happy to see on the turn (I guess maybe the other two tens; those 5s complete straights/make 4-flushes).

Shit, who am I kidding? I probably fire out with a T100 bet on this flop and try to take it down here. With my stack at like 15 x BB, I'll be glad to try and take these little pots when I can get them. But I shut it down and check-fold the turn after he calls the flop. That 8 is a bad card, if he has any 7 (and he may, as he's a limper) he's hit his straight. If you bet here with the intention of laying down, you'll have put in half your stack just to fold, which is always a blower.

Maybe I'm just weak-tight, though.

nsj 03-14-2005 09:19 PM

check-fold the flop.

considering the board and a pair of limpers, a 2/3 pot bet is not going to scare anyone with a decent straight/flush draw away. I don't mind the 2/3 pot bet with top pair no kicker on a drawless board like T62r, but your bet here is almost always getting called.

With a straight card hitting the turn, your 200 bet is terrible.