Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Ed Miller, overpairs and paying off (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=210384)

spurgeon 03-09-2005 11:00 PM

Ed Miller, overpairs and paying off

If I understand the small stakes hold em book, Mr. Miller's position is that you should pay off with A-A, when you know that your opponent has made trips or two pair. Basically, I think his position is that you should always call to the river with A-A in low limit hold em for the most part. I think this is true of other overpairs as well. K-K, Q-Q,J-J, 10-10 etc. Do you guys think I have this right?

cowboyzfan 03-09-2005 11:06 PM

Re: Ed Miller, overpairs and paying off

well i am not speaking for Ed of course but i don't think that is right. I think you have to always take the board and the actions of other players into account. You can never say "always" call to the river. What happens when the board is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and it is 3 bets to you with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in a multiway pot?

emonrad87 03-09-2005 11:09 PM

You get pissed off, and fling 4 bets worth of chips across the room screaming about shitty players and suckouts.

cowboyzfan 03-09-2005 11:18 PM

you must know me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

A_C_Slater 03-09-2005 11:26 PM

You raise from the CO with AA and the SB and BB call because they are relentlessly habitual blind defenders. The flop comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and the SB checks, the BB bets, you raise, the SB folds, and the uber-passive BB reraises. You call and you have to call down the rest of the way even though you know he has that friggin three.

No fancy mathematical explanation explaining why. You just have to, it's a matter of principle. You have pocket Aces Goddammit!!! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Dead 03-10-2005 01:30 AM

If BB really is uber-passive, like aggression < .5 over a good number of hands, then I fold to the flop 3bet.

A_C_Slater 03-10-2005 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If BB really is uber-passive, like aggression < .5 over a good number of hands, then I fold to the flop 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. If you have stats on him like that, then you can fold, but I'm talking about casual observation of an unknown player.

emonrad87 03-10-2005 01:59 AM

In this situation, I cap it the whole way. I mean, he could be bluffing, or he could have the 8. But even if he has the three, I have ACES!! THEY SHOULDNT LOSE!!! Plus I have 3 outs anyway!!! That's worth a cap the whole way cuz they're ACES!!!

Rah 03-10-2005 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In this situation, I cap it the whole way. I mean, he could be bluffing, or he could have the 8. But even if he has the three, I have ACES!! THEY SHOULDNT LOSE!!! Plus I have 3 outs anyway!!! That's worth a cap the whole way cuz they're ACES!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

3 outs? Two aces, ok, but do you think running eights is worth one out?

Brainwalter 03-10-2005 04:23 AM

Yeah half an out each!!!1