Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   scary river - silly value bet with overpair HU/OOP? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=209502)

dark_horse 03-08-2005 05:36 PM

scary river - silly value bet with overpair HU/OOP?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls.

River: (8 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

iluzion 03-08-2005 05:42 PM

Re: scary river - silly value bet with overpair HU/OOP?

That looks like what I would do, as much as you hate to bet the river, I think its needed.

Jingleheimer 03-08-2005 05:49 PM

Standard.

thesharpie 03-08-2005 05:57 PM

Do you fold to a raise?

dark_horse 03-08-2005 07:18 PM

I think I might have to. And against a thinking opponent, I could try that move myself regardless of what I have, depending on potsize. Anyone else?

Nick C 03-08-2005 07:59 PM

The turn was already scary, especially with three opponents. I don't think the river makes things all that much worse (though, of course, hands like Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] are possible).

Against a passive player, I like a bet-fold line, since a passive player will probably bet a straight or flush but might check behind with hands that you beat that he might have called with (like K9o and A6o). (Edit: Something else to at least consider though is that a passive player might also check behind with a hand he would have called with such as 97 that beats yours, because he's scared of the board too.)

Against a more aggressive player who will likely bet if checked to whether he has you beat or not (and who also might bluff something like KQo or KJo), I start thinking about check-calling instead.

And if you've seen MP3 bluff-raising on some rivers, I don't like a bet-fold line much at all.

I think that against many players, a bet-fold line would be best. However, the board is pretty obviously scary, so if MP3 has shown signs of trickiness, I'd be deciding between check-calling and bet-calling instead. I think I favor check-calling against a tricky opponent, actually.

One last edit: I think that, against an unknown, check-calling is all right here.