Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   TILT is not for you (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=206638)

Dominic 03-03-2005 11:30 PM

TILT is not for you

I can't help but roll my eyes at all the threads and posts from all you superior poker players saying how bad the show is:

"He never would've played the K-high flush that strongly!"
"He needs three monitors to three table, how gay!!!"
"This is so unrealistic."

And on and on and on....

Well, guess what? "TILT" is not a poker primer. The hands they show have to be understandable to the general public - that's why we see some plays on the show that a half-decent poker player might not make - it's for dramatic purposes and made to be easily understood by someone who does not play poker. Period.

Yes, we all know you don't need three monitors to three-table - ha ha ha. Except, if I'm a director, a production designer or even just a prop guy on the show, my job is to make the scene look good. THAT'S why there's three monitors for the "internet whiz kid" guy. Because it looks good.

As someone who has sold scripts and written for TV, I can honestly say I'm enjoying this show. It's well-written, well-acted, extremely well-shot....yes, at times there's an over-the-top moment - but HEY, IT'S TV!

It's a melodrama, people. A soap opera. Not a documentary.

So get over it.

Toro 03-03-2005 11:43 PM

Re: TILT is not for you

good observations dom. I'm watching now and this episode is pretty damn good. Lot better than most of the garbage on the tube these days.

mostsmooth 03-03-2005 11:46 PM

youre like, 6 weeks late with your rant
its all been said

Boris 03-03-2005 11:56 PM

Tonight's episode is the nuts. The best one so far. hopefully all the haters will shut their traps now.

TILT ROCKS!!!!!!!

Toro 03-03-2005 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its all been said

[/ QUOTE ]

good observations dom. I'm watching now and this episode is pretty damn good. Lot better than most of the garbage on the tube these days.

Dominic 03-03-2005 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its all been said

[/ QUOTE ]

But not by me until now. Anything previously said is obviously irrelevant. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

TStoneMBD 03-04-2005 12:00 AM

thank you for the rant.

i happen to like the show, but i get a little aggrivated when i see unrealistic things in any tv or movie production. when i see something phony taking place, i feel reminded that its just a show and that what i am watching is not actually taking place in the real world. im reminded that its a tv show and i awaken from the dream-like trance that i was in while watching. yes, the show has good camera angles. however, its bad production/direction. period. the storyline is also extremely flawed. i find it hilarious that the matador plopped down 400,000$ in order to pick up some players to dump chips to him. what a terrible investment. then he makes the final 100 like its a piece of cake. first place is a reported 5million, so it should be clear that we are dealing with several thousand players.

dabluebery 03-04-2005 12:02 AM

I agree. Kinda. I think they are walking a fine line between being realistic for the non poker diehards, and being over the top for those of us who know what's what.

I was laughing a LOT during this episode. My wife thought something was wrong with me. The guy playing poker on 3 monitors? Priceless.

I like it, it entertains me, makes me laugh.

Rob

mostsmooth 03-04-2005 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
its all been said

[/ QUOTE ]

But not by me until now. Anything previously said is obviously irrelevant. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
true, i didnt condsider that, my bad [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Francis 03-04-2005 12:08 AM

Yea,

I have to say, i'm surprised at all the hostility aroud this show. I find it fun as hell, and watch it regularly. I even have every episode downloaded from a bit torrent...

There are few shows I like on TV, but this is one of them... And the fun I have working the lines from the show into my everyday life are classic...

My wife still doesn't get the "triple it, and then double up" line.

-f-