Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Surreal Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=205674)

DalaiLama 03-02-2005 03:05 PM

Surreal Poker

I played in a small buy in live tournament on Monday, and as I surveyed the room, the following hit me like a ton of bricks. I think the poker craze has gone too far. Old men, kids, trash, grandmas, and everything in-between pondering bad calls and acting like they're the next Phil Ivey. It's become absurd. I saw two young guys dressed in ostrich skin boots, hair greased back, sun glasses, rings, gaudy gambling themed necklaces, with tooth picks hanging out of their mouths, telling everybody their business. Underground rooms are popping up everyday. I have a feeling that the poker bubble will pop within the next 12 months. It's become too much. My Tivo went from recording one show (WPT), to recording a half dozen poker shows a week. The game is getting too big, too fast for it's own good. Thoughts?

Dalai [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

shant 03-02-2005 04:14 PM

Re: Surreal Poker

Here's a thought, let's stop posting predictions about when poker is going to start sucking and just enjoy the boom.

DalaiLama 03-02-2005 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a thought, let's stop posting predictions about when poker is going to start sucking and just enjoy the boom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's another thought...stfu

This is New, Views, and Gossip right? I never said poker would start sucking.

PokerPaul 03-02-2005 05:47 PM

my guess is, even the dalaiLama gets grumpy with age

pokerstudAA 03-03-2005 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Here's another thought...stfu

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow the dali lama woke up on the wrong side of his wooden floor mat this morning.

Poker is fun - poker is gambling - people like to gamble. 15 years ago 7-stud was the game of choice. Now it is hold em' - the real pros adapt their game to play what the fish are playing. The poker boom may slow down but it wont end. When will a 24 hr. poker channel show up on TV? That is the next big thing.

MicroBob 03-03-2005 09:46 PM

poker is so popular that it will cease to be popular?

What is this, the Macarena?

mike l. 03-03-2005 10:06 PM

"I have a feeling that the poker bubble will pop within the next 12 months."

yeah youre right. and vegas is going to go bust one of these years too. people are getting sick of gambling and losing all their money and sitting around trying to get rich on the turn of a card. all those big hotels are gonna be boarding up the windows any day now.. obviously the whole thing has played itself out.

DalaiLama 03-03-2005 11:38 PM

Guys, maybe I should have defined "pop" as not growing at the speed of light. All I'm saying is that it can't continue to grow at this pace. I was/still am in a bad mood for various reasons. The wanna-bes make me nauseous sometimes. For gods sake, poker is the new water cooler topic. Poker will never suck, and Mike, I know Vegas isn't going anywhere. I just never thought everyone around me would get caught up in it. girlfriend/coworkers/dad/etc...

DalaiLama 03-04-2005 12:09 AM

don't be so naive...and don't belittle me... please

[ QUOTE ]
yeah youre right. and vegas is going to go bust one of these years too. people are getting sick of gambling and losing all their money and sitting around trying to get rich on the turn of a card. all those big hotels are gonna be boarding up the windows any day now.. obviously the whole thing has played itself out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike circa 1999

yeah youre right. and the internet is going to go bust one of these years too. people are getting sick of efficiency and saving all that time and money....sitting around trying to get rich on ipos. all those start ups are gonna go bankrupt any day now.. obviously the whole thing has played itself out.

drewjustdrew 03-04-2005 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Old men, kids, trash, grandmas, and everything in-between pondering bad calls and acting like they're the next Phil Ivey. It's become absurd. I saw two young guys dressed in ostrich skin boots, hair greased back, sun glasses, rings, gaudy gambling themed necklaces, with tooth picks hanging out of their mouths, telling everybody their business.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are saying that nothing has changed in the last 10 years? Seems to me this has been the case since poker rooms were legalized. Outsiders tell me, and I believe them that "poker players are a different breed"