Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Movin up?? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=203448)

JAA 02-27-2005 01:22 AM

Movin up??

Hey all, I am looking for some advice...

I have been playing $15-$30 online for about 3 years now, and have had good results. I have reached the point where my bankroll is large enough to support bigger limits (assuming I can beat them pretty well, obviously). When I play live, I play anywhere from $20-$40 to $50-$100 ($30-$60 is my average comfort level). I guess my question is, are there any good games online higher than $15-$30? Most of the $50-$100 I have encountered are fairly tough, and I'd rather beat up $15-$30 than grind out <1BB/hr at this level (and have larger fluctuations). Assume you have a $30k bankroll, what's your move?

Is it really worth playing a typical online $30-$60 or $50-$100 game versus party $15-$30? (Aside from gaining experience at higher limits...I'm just talking strictly in terms of profitability) If so, any recommendations as to where the best games are?

Thanks for any input - Jags

na4bart 02-27-2005 03:27 AM

Re: Movin up??

Live I wouldn't play any bigger than 20/40 with 30k as that happens to be exactly where I'm at. May be a tad conservetive, but for sure you won't go broke. 50/100? You will get broke.

JAA 02-27-2005 04:19 AM

Thanks for the input...

I should have clarified...I play live about once every week or two, for about 6-12 hours. This is really my "fun" time, compared to multi-tabling online. That being said, I think I can comfortably play $50-$100 with a short bankroll knowing that I am not playing day-in and day-out. It's along the same lines as being able to "take a shot" at a game you don't have the bankroll for, with the assumption that you will move down limits if it look as if you are crashing.

On a separate note, I would argue that $30k is a big enough bankroll for $30-$60, especially live, but I suppose it depends on the everyday lineup of the game you are playing in.

Does anyone play a lot of online $30-$60? If so, what is a reasonable hourly rate (or BB/100)?

Thanks - Jags

na4bart 02-27-2005 04:27 AM

Not playing day-to-day has nothing to do with bankroll preservation. Over time the total hours will be the same with the same risk. I am NOT saying it is incorrect to play at the level you state, just that you incur a greater risk of ruin and no amount of hit and run tactics will make the slightist bit of difference in that risk.

2ndGoat 02-27-2005 04:32 AM

<<you incur a greater risk of ruin and no amount of hit and run tactics will make the slightist bit of difference in that risk.>>

I disagree. If you play 50/100 5% of the time and 15/30 95% of the time, you do NOT need a full 50/100 bankroll... it just doesn't get a chance to ruin you before the 95% of the time at 15/30 evens things out. Sure, you need a marginally higher bankroll, but, say, 10% higher, rather than 333%.

2ndGoat

na4bart 02-27-2005 04:39 AM

Agreed. I was assuming full time at limits of 30/60 and up. And I will be the first to admit I am somewhat on the consevative side, as I acquired my money by working my way up from small limits. A difficult task, but achievable. Staying in money is of paramount importance to me. Probably more so than most.

JAA 02-27-2005 04:48 AM

Yeah Goat, this is pretty much what I was getting at.

Also, I remember one of Mason's essays talking about how you can play a higher limit with a much smaller bankroll than conventional wisdom would dictate as long as you are willing to move back down if need be. It's pretty intuituve. Saying that you need more than $30,000 to play $50-$100 6 hours a week is a wee bit over the top, especially when you are playing 40+ hours multi-tabling $15-$30. It's not as if I am going to play $50-$100 until I lose $30k, I would simply move down a limit or two if I went on a real bad run.

Anyway, this wasn't really the point of my post, as I am pretty confident in my ability to manage my bankroll. I would be more curious to hear if anyone has input on beating online limits higher than $15-$30 versus plain-old multitabling on Party.

- Jags

JAA 02-27-2005 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And I will be the first to admit I am somewhat on the consevative side, as I acquired my money by working my way up from small limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you on that bro....I remember playing $2-$4 on Party, jumping around and high fiving my roommates when I won a $40 pot.

Ahh, the days of innocence. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Escape 02-27-2005 05:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And I will be the first to admit I am somewhat on the consevative side, as I acquired my money by working my way up from small limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you on that bro....I remember playing $2-$4 on Party, jumping around and high fiving my roommates when I won a $40 pot.

Ahh, the days of innocence. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I still do

The Truth 02-27-2005 07:09 AM

You could play 50-100 on a 30k bankroll. thats 300 bb.
I think if you loose down to 200BB or so, yous hould move down for a bit, but none the less a 300BB bankroll doesnt have a high risk of ruin. Assuming you are beating the 50-100 game that is.