Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   trying to learn more about loose passive low limit games (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=202613)

cowboyzfan 02-25-2005 02:37 PM

trying to learn more about loose passive low limit games

I have SSH and am doing pretty well. However, I am trying to add to my understanding of the theories of how to succeed best in low limit, loose passive games (and how to adjust to changing conditions)

Anyone have a critique of the stuff written by Jalib and Fekali? Here is the Fekali link if you have not read it.Fekali basically I wondered what top players thought about it.

Also, I am thinking about picking up Carson's book because it discusses some of these issues, particularly pot equity type issues against weak opponents and the value of raising pre-flop with superior hands. Mainly i want to follow up on Ed's footnotes in SSH. Any comments on the Carson book? I am not looking for a "model text", just a few new ideas or a different way of explaining things.

thanks

sthief09 02-25-2005 02:44 PM

Re: trying to learn more about loose passive low limit games

I have not read Carson's book. I have heard that it's underrated and includes some good content on preflop play.

belloc 02-25-2005 03:09 PM

I read Carson before I read any of the other modern/recent Holdem books, and it's very good. It goes extensively into things apart from the actual game play, things like table selection and card room etiquette, and even into some pretty heady stuff (like, what's the difference between a poker theory and a poker model?) so it's very complete in that sense.

I learned mostly from Carson and modeled my play after his advice before I (weak/)tightened up by reading Lee Jones, then made some major adjustments after reading Ed's book. Compared to these latter two, Carson lacks sorely in discussion of play on the big bet streets. It's very good in all other respects, and I recommend it as an addition to your library.

There was/is something of a disagreement (some called it a feud) between Mason and Carson over on RGP some years back. I don't remember all of the content, but I think it centered upon the lack of 4th/5th street discussion, and some tangential name-calling. The threads should be fairly easily located by searching the RGP archives.

cowboyzfan 02-25-2005 08:44 PM

thanks for the responses. Anyone have an opinion on the Fekali articles? They seem pretty good and SSH like, but written several years ago.

Those RGP archives were interesting, it seems poker writers don't always get along [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]