Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Keeping a Poker Face (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=198333)

Toonces 02-18-2005 02:35 PM

Keeping a Poker Face

Are there any tips or tricks you guys use so as to not give away your hand in yor reaction? I would like to remove any kind of tells that I have when I get my card, but I feel like sometimes, my body does not want to cooperate. I also have the same problems lying to someone's face, but I suppose my fiancee appreciates that.

KidPokerX 02-18-2005 02:39 PM

Re: Keeping a Poker Face

try your best to think "what does my opponent see in me? what am I showing to my opponent?" Then work your new "manufactured" look to your imagination.

Kaz The Original 02-18-2005 02:39 PM

If you cannot remove your tells, try doing many things, in order to disguise your real tells. Shout out for random cards on the turn (but only the turn!), practice going wide eyed before folding, stare directly at the table, nonchalantly say "OK, I guess I call" (which is a tell for strength) when you're on a draw / have the nuts / top pair top kicker.

Camoflague.

Pov 02-18-2005 03:22 PM

Experience may be all that you need. The first X times you hit your inside straight in a big pot your heart may be pounding through your chest with excitement, but eventually it will just become a brief "cool" and you'll calmly make your play. As your decisions and their likely consequences become more second nature, you're more likely to be able to control your excitement/disappointment and cut down your tells.

Besides that, I think you could consciously develop specific ways of doing each thing you do at the table and always doing them exactly the same way. If you always just sit still then say "bet" and place your chips in the same spot in front of you then you are less likely to have tells in "how" you bet, etc. You'll just have to focus and practice always betting this way regardless of bluff, feeler or value bet until you always do it the same way. Then work on raising or calling etc. until you are in full control. Then you can choose to put the variations back in, but only on purpose and for a specific reason.

How a player puts chips in the pot is the biggest location for tells I've found followed by watching faces instead of the board when the flop is turned over so those are the two areas I suggest you pay the most attention to.

SenecaJim 02-18-2005 03:39 PM

Try and avoid the tell I saw last night. Flop came 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and this old guy about 70 goes " Hot Damn!" He had pocket 8's.

Toonces 02-18-2005 03:46 PM

LOL...I wonder if I oughta train a camcorder on me during my home game. Could be interesting.

tek 02-18-2005 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL...I wonder if I oughta train a camcorder on me during my home game. Could be interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be a good idea. When I used to bowl in tournaments, I would video tape my practice sessions. It's amazing how I thought I was doing things versus what the camera showed...

Victor 02-18-2005 08:31 PM

elbows on the table.

stare blankly into that space in the table just after your cards but between the pot.

elysium wrote about it long ago. someone could dig it up.

oh yea.....wear grey too.

Victor 02-18-2005 08:34 PM

one thing i used to do is actually look at my chips as soon as i got a good hand or hit a good flop.

dont do that .

Stuey 02-20-2005 01:24 AM

You want an easy way to hide your tells? Try this it works for me. Pretend like you don't know what is happening at all times. People like to think they are superior, this makes it very easy to convince them that they are. Once you know what they think of you the battle is won. Just use the knowledge to your advantage. Ask dumb questions, check your hole cards often, when you showdown the nuts ask if you win! Plus when you feel true anxiety it will apear like your normal uncertianty due to your inexperience at this game. I get very nervous at times. I asked a friend if he could tell I was so nervous. He said nope you look calm as cucumber. A dumb cucumber but a calm one! Anxiety is only something YOU feel no one can see it. Plus 99 percent of the general public can not change their mind on the fly anyhow. Good luck