Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Please Help (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=195573)

spydog 02-14-2005 01:07 PM

Please Help

I've hit the 300BB downswing (well 288) and am utterly frustrated. I've posted several hands and gotten good feedback.

If anyone has hands against me (screenname is Spydog92), please review your PT db and give me any feedback.

I know my downswing can be attributed to bad luck + bad play.

My last 5k hands I have a lifetime WSD% of 33.37% and a W$SD% of 48.72%. This is an awful combination. What's really disturbing is that I normally have a WSD% of 38-39% (over 55k hands of SH) with a W$SD% of 52-53% and have always been very successful. I really haven't changed my style, yet my cards have been so horrible that my WSD% has dropped considerably. I tend to push small edges and call down often. If I were to be making decent folds I believe my WSD would be in the upper 20s. Unfrigginbelievable.

Thanks to those that peruse their PT databases and help me out.

If it wasn't for this friggin .50/1 to 15/30 in 60k hand challenge, then I would just go back to 3/6 full for a while.

David BB 02-14-2005 02:30 PM

Re: Please Help

I only have 27 hands on you so can't help you much.

Streaks like these will happen (although rarely), and while its always good to constantly analyze your game, you may not be making any significant mistakes.

I had a 380BB downswing back when I was playing 2/4 full. But looking back at those hands I just werent playing any differently than I was before and after the streak. So be careful you're not trying to fix something that isnt broke!

If you haven't already, read this thread: http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...amp;PHPSESSID=

spydog 02-14-2005 03:48 PM

Thanks for the link, David. Although I'm making mistakes, they would only account for 25% of my downswing, at the most.

Clark made a good point about not changing your game for the sake of changing your game when things are running badly. I think I've done this to a certain extent and need to go back to the game I've been successful with. After all, I was a 2BB/100+ winner at this level for my first 28k hands.

Thanks for your post.

wuarhg 02-14-2005 03:54 PM

Hey spydog, I've played a few sessions with you and what I can see from observing your play (so I can get tricky on you later) is that you play a good solid game of poker. I haven't seen any getting out of line or anything like that.

I myself am on a horrible streak, 23k hands and still a bit in the red.

spydog 02-14-2005 03:59 PM

Thanks wuarhg. Hopefully, I've donated to your bottom line in our sessions. Lord knows the fish at my tables are getting fat.

wahooriver 02-14-2005 04:14 PM

I have 139 hands against you - you are (-6.4BB) for those hands. I have you labelled as a TAG. What I notice is extremely tight preflop, and extremely aggressive on the flop.

When playing you, I would give you wide berth on any raises (especially preflop), thus you will win less money from me each hand. If you call, I know you have excellent cards - no doubts. Thus, I believe you are a bit too predictable for the Party 5/10 6 max game.

I like to play a bit looser preflop, and a bit more deceptive on the flop. My greatest aggression is on the turn, not the flop. In fact I am more aggressive on the river than on the flop.

This may run counter to many players here, but I often want to see what everyone does on the flop to gain information. I am just as concerned with analyzing my opponents as I am in trying to "intimidate" them. When you raise on the flop, I will only call if I have a great hand. You might be losing 1 or 2 BB from each winning hand - not sure.

You probably also have less huge hands. While these certainly contribute to downturns, they also are (IMHO) the key to big sessions.

While the numbers are way to small to really know, I would advise that you carefully examine your position VP$IP. You almost never come in at 2 & 3. Many hands are worth 0.5 BB in this game, I bet your preflop standards are too tight.

Anyway - those are my observations from only 139 hands. Good luck!

spydog 02-14-2005 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet your preflop standards are too tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but my VPIP is 22.9 and my PFR is 15.6, so if I need to loosen up it wouldn't be by much.

I just think my postflop play is crap, in addition to running badly.

TrickyTree 02-14-2005 04:52 PM

I can only echo what the previous player said about you. I have played 6 sessions against you this month covering 190 hands. Whilst i have been at your table you are up 10.5bb/100. You seem very tight preflop (VP$ITP 19%) and aggresive on both the flop and the turn. Your aggression falls dramatically on the river and you may be losing bets here.

Anyway to me you play seems very very solid and im sure you are a good platyer who is just running badly at present. Dont worry you are not the only one as this month im down 360bb over 14.5K hands and im feeling the same frustration now. Hopefully thing will change for us both soon.

Good Luck.

Mr. Graff 02-14-2005 05:36 PM

From what I've observed from the 3-4 short sessions we've played together I haven't noticed any mistakes/leaks. You seem to extract the max when ahead and lose small when behind. Your responses to hands posted in the forum suggests you should be a solid winner at 5/10. I think you are running bad, the numbers would suggest so also. Of course how you handle running bad is another thing. It is very easy to go on a subtle tilt and start making slightly looser calls here and there or to raise marginal holdings in situations where you shouldn't.

How many tables are you playing? More than you used to? If so, this can also be a factor.

Btw. if you've noticed leaks in my game from the few hands we've played I'd appreciate info on that.

spydog 02-15-2005 06:25 AM

I only have 11 known hands in PT for you and you only lost 2 of them. Obviously, one of those was your straight hand versus my full house. With the other caller in that hand, I think your 3-bet on the turn was fine as I'm likely to raise a better straight (which you had flush outs to) or trip Jacks (which you were ahead). Even if you are behind my full house, you had the Td draw to the straight flush.

Overall, your play is supersolid.