Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   A9s six players see flop. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=194455)

jon_keck 02-12-2005 05:55 AM

A9s six players see flop.

No relevant reads.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG+2 posts a blind of $0.5. MP1 posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 (poster) checks, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (11.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

I bet the turn for 2 reasons. 1. To fold any unpaired Ax hands that might still be around. 2. I thought it was +ev if I got 3 callers, but I realised that was wrong after looking over the hand.

All comments appreciated.

toss 02-12-2005 06:30 AM

Re: A9s six players see flop.

I like the PF raise with those two posters. Flop is fine.

Turn is debatable. A free card here would be nice, but the pot may be big enough to try and knock out a player or two. I'd check or bet depending on my reads of the checkers.

Womble 02-12-2005 06:31 AM

Nice flop raise!

You should have taken the free card on the turn. A semibluff will not work against 5 players very often

Axioms 02-12-2005 06:33 AM

Doesn't your two raises make this pot too big for anyone to get away from? At 11BBs by the turn, you're getting monster odds on this hand, which is exactly what you want. I'd probably do the same with this board and pray everyone calls me on the turn.

jon_keck 02-12-2005 06:49 AM

re: all

Thanks for all the input.

Check vs. bet on the turn w/ big draws is something I'm trying to get better with. If I check and catch an ace on the river, I won't be happy if it's a bet and 2 calls (or worse) to me. But, if I bet the turn and catch a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], it seems unlikely that I'd get a lot of action on the river.

I'm simplifying a bit, but those are the two biggest factors as I see it.

Interested 02-12-2005 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No relevant reads.
I bet the turn for 2 reasons. 1. To fold any unpaired Ax hands that might still be around. 2. I thought it was +ev if I got 3 callers, but I realised that was wrong after looking over the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello jon_keck,

Could you explain what did you mean "ev+ with 3 callers". You had already ev+. I think it was better to bet the turn and may be get free showdown.
And if you'll get free card and catch your diamond - how many callers you expect to get?
And it isn't obviously why the turn bet was wrong. Any reply?

Sorry for my English.

Interested 02-12-2005 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the PF raise with those two posters. Flop is fine.

Turn is debatable. A free card here would be nice, but the pot may be big enough to try and knock out a player or two. I'd check or bet depending on my reads of the checkers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, may you explain for me. Turn - all check to you. What reads do you need to bet on these 5 players if there are no maniacs?

toss 02-12-2005 07:59 AM

Actually ignore my first post, I would bet here. You have about a 20% chance of improving to the nuts and if you spike an ace you might win. Since you're contributing 20% of the pot, you should bet. Betting would be better than taking the free card.

jon_keck 02-12-2005 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No relevant reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello jon_keck,

Could you explain what did you mean "ev+ with 3 callers". You had already ev+.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, welcome to the forums.

I'm still learning to use math to justify action, so I might be seeing it the wrong way.

If I bet, I have 9/46 chance of making a flush on the river. I thought at least 3 players would call me.

[(9/46)*3]+[(37/46)*-1] = -0.22
[times I make a flush on river]+[times I don't]

I lose .22 BB everytime I bet the turn and only get 3 callers. This is what meant.

[ QUOTE ]

I think it was better to bet the turn and may be get free showdown.
And if you'll get free card and catch your diamond - how many callers you expect to get?
And it isn't obviously why the turn bet was wrong. Any reply?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with what you say, there are other factors to consider.

One thing to worry about is getting check-raised after betting the turn and everyone else folding.

As you said, there are good reasons to bet too.

The difference between betting and checking seems small. I prefer aggression in this case.

toss 02-12-2005 08:46 AM

But think about it, when you have people fold you increase your chance of winning the pot greatly.