Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   5/10 Prima - weird flop play with KK? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=187615)

AZK 01-31-2005 11:18 PM

5/10 Prima - weird flop play with KK?

5/10 Prima, I have about 2.5k behind and make it 40 to go with red KK UTG +2. 2 callers mp with about 1k, SB with about 2k we take a flop of J86 all clubs. I move the cursor to make a 1/2 - 2/3 pot bet like always and for a brief second think, why bet when I can't really feel great about calling a raise. I check, checked around. Turn is a red 8, SB leads out for 120, I call, MP folds. River is a red jack. He checks, I check behind. Thoughts?

BluffTHIS! 01-31-2005 11:28 PM

Re: 5/10 Prima - weird flop play with KK?

With that many players and lacking the K of the suit I would check as well. By betting and being called you gain no idea whether you are being slowplayed, drawn against or set up for a steal play on the river. You want to play a small pot here if you do play. Assuming that you were going to fold to a reraise behind on the turn and check/fold in a 3 way situation on the river unless you made a set regardless, then the turn call is fine. As far as calling the river bet, unless you have notes that he is a frequent bluffer you are most likely pissing your money away.

FeelGoodAboutHood 02-01-2005 12:05 AM

I like the flop check alot. Out of position on this board, you hate getting raised and you hate getting flat called almost as much. On that board, I'm trying to get to a showdown as cheaply as possible. The turn falls in line with getting to a showdown. The river is real weird, but I happily check behind. That's a very strange river action, I don't see why he would read you for a J.

freemoney 02-01-2005 03:14 AM

I really like your play, his check is real weird because it is unlikely you have a hand to call a large bet here. Did he show 9s with a club maybe trying to catch red AK? Thats the hand that came to my mind

AZK 02-01-2005 12:47 PM

Results

Worse, he showed JTo, I think he misread the board.

As for the flop/turn play, if I check the flop I have to call a turn bet assuming it isn't a club or a jack, right?

tbach24 02-01-2005 01:22 PM

Re: Results

Since you intended to call a turn bet, I would raise it up on the flop.

AZK 02-01-2005 02:30 PM

No, it just gets to showdown cheaper/quicker, I bet/raise the flop and my opponents call/raise where does that put me? Probably in the muck.

tbach24 02-01-2005 02:35 PM

If you land in the muck, you at least know you're behind. He might fold to your re-raise.

FeelGoodAboutHood 02-01-2005 02:36 PM

That's a strage hand. The fact that he has JTo there is just terrible.

But to answer your question, yes, you have to call a non-J/club turn, but what do you do if an A hits? Tough hand, I think you did well.