Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   I need advice on my downswing (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=187530)

gorgeous 01-31-2005 08:38 PM

I need advice on my downswing

I need some advice from you guys. My bankroll has taken a pretty big hit and I'm not sure what to do....

Background: One of my problems is that I think my bankroll will always get bigger and sometimes I dip into my bankroll to pay for rent, decline school loans, etc. Recently I took out $680 out of my bank for a $130 traffic ticket and a Dell 2001fp monitor (I've wanted to 4-table for sooo long). My bankroll was around $1700 after that.

Now it's at $411.93, meaning I've lost over $1200 in the past 3-4 days (got pimpslapped by variance). I have enough money for this semester's rent but I'm in a jam.

Choices:
1. Just get past this semester, live frugally, no more fast food (super sad), no DELL 2001FP MONITOR, no poker for a while (super duper sad)
2. Get monitor, grind it back on the tables and make a slow comeback

See, now I don't even know why I'm asking this anymore. Of course you guys are gonna answer, "Make the comeback" but I dunno anymore. I'm having doubts because of my massive downswing. I'm going to take a break from poker for a while cuz it's just kicking my ass, but the in the meantime please leave some input

P.S. If I'm feeling this horrible, it must've been even worse for David Ross and SirFWALGman

SomethingClever 01-31-2005 08:54 PM

Re: I need advice on my downswing

Mentioning what game and stakes you play might help.

As it is, I can't give much useful advice.

Except you should probably hold off on the monitor. Won't be much good if you get broke.

afk 01-31-2005 08:59 PM

Keep your poker bankroll separate from money you need for such things as food and rent.

Also, you didn't tell us what limit/game you are playing, so we have no idea whether you're underolled or not.

liquidboss 01-31-2005 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep your poker bankroll separate from money you need for such things as food and rent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is all the advice you need. When you spend your bank roll you no longer have it to back you up when you have a run of bad cards.

BradleyT 01-31-2005 09:11 PM

Get a job. Play poker on the side.

gorgeous 01-31-2005 09:13 PM

Oops my bad. I played $50+5 SNG's for the most part and $50NL. I had a bad streak of bust-bust-bust-3rd-bust-bust-bust-bust-3rd-bust-bust-... you get the point and even after 270 samples (11% ROI) I'm not sure if I can beat the $50+5's anymore. I dropped down to the $10+1's for a while and still couldn't beat them. I got a lot of 3rd, 4th and 5th places (I wish they understood the gap concept) so my confidence level is very low with SNG's

gila 01-31-2005 09:16 PM

Send back the lcd, buy a crt. That should double you bankroll and you can still four table.

gorgeous 01-31-2005 09:18 PM

Oh man, I didn't even think about that. Genius. Thanks!

scotnt73 01-31-2005 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oops my bad. I played $50+5 SNG's for the most part and $50NL. I had a bad streak of bust-bust-bust-3rd-bust-bust-bust-bust-3rd-bust-bust-... you get the point and even after 270 samples (11% ROI) I'm not sure if I can beat the $50+5's anymore. I dropped down to the $10+1's for a while and still couldn't beat them. I got a lot of 3rd, 4th and 5th places (I wish they understood the gap concept) so my confidence level is very low with SNG's

[/ QUOTE ]

swallow your pride and drop down in limits as well as forgetting about the monitor for now.

gorgeous 02-01-2005 02:52 AM

So I guess the general consensus is for me to keep playing. I'll skip the monitor for now and 3-table on my lowly 15"