Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Hellmuth (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=185198)

FishBurger 01-27-2005 07:10 PM

Hellmuth

Does Phil Hellmuth even play poker anymore? In his lates CardPlayer article he had to call T.J. Cloutier to remind him of a hand he could write about. I think the hand was from a tourney in 1995.

Is Phil just skating on past glory now?

rerazor 01-27-2005 07:42 PM

Re: Hellmuth

He's pure hype. I watched the 2002 wsop the other night, the where Hellmuth "lost" the bet over Varoknyis performance and had to get his head shaved. Well Varkonyi wanted to let him off the hook, but Hellmuth *insisted* he follow through with it, because it would be more hype in his direction. His whole image is an act, and frankly from what I've seen of his poker that's overrated too.

Asufiji2004 01-27-2005 07:47 PM

Damn the guy doesn't win a major tournament for a whole year and he's hype?...overrated? Yall are a bunch of haters. 9 bracelets... He may not have the best personality, but the man can play cards.

BUCKS COUNTY, PA 01-27-2005 08:18 PM

if you keep up with the 10K buy ins you'd notice that Hellmuth doesn't participate in as many of them as most known pros.

slickpoppa 01-27-2005 08:23 PM

I think phil is a good player, but not as good as he or his bracelet worshippers make him out to be. But he is smart enough to realize that acting like an ass and drawing attention to himself is probably more +EV than playing real poker. I think the cardplayer article was just laziness.

istewart 01-27-2005 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's pure hype. I watched the 2002 wsop the other night, the where Hellmuth "lost" the bet over Varoknyis performance and had to get his head shaved. Well Varkonyi wanted to let him off the hook, but Hellmuth *insisted* he follow through with it, because it would be more hype in his direction. His whole image is an act, and frankly from what I've seen of his poker that's overrated too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've probably seen barely any of "his poker." I don't think you can call his performance in 1993 overrated.

Stew 01-27-2005 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn the guy doesn't win a major tournament for a whole year and he's hype?...overrated? Yall are a bunch of haters. 9 bracelets... He may not have the best personality, but the man can play cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, you have to be kidding. The guy is bar none the best tournament Hold 'Em player ever....I'm not talking about Limit or NL individually I'm talking hold 'em.

Now, before all you Negreanu, Hansen and Brunson chest pumpers get on my case, I'm talking ever.

Negreanu is the best NL touranment player right now. Brunson is the best NL player tournament and cash games combined and Hansen had a nice run and will certainly stay on the scene, but I think his style has been exposed and the top players have figured out a way to combat his style.

Vi_o 01-27-2005 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a moron.

Raymer is hype, Hellmuth he's amazing.

TStoneMBD 01-27-2005 09:36 PM

IMHO, Hellmuth is by far the most overrated player in poker, by a large margin. Moneymaker and Varkonyi are runnerups. Raymer is overrated by this forum to a severe degree, but not by the poker industry.

Don Olney 01-27-2005 09:45 PM

I think Phil has the skill and talent to play with the best of the best and play great poker -- BUT --- with all the NIMRODS playing now -- he may suffer more now then ever --- Phil plays skill against skill --- he has trouble with SKILL against 450 NIMRODS out to bust him just because of who he is ----

In todays no-limit tourneys. Danial may be a the top ---I do know one thing from seeing him in tourneys. and live --- he maybe one of the top 3 or 4 post flop players going in the game today -----