Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Warren's book? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=179456)

MidnightToker 01-18-2005 07:20 PM

Warren\'s book?

Hey everyone. I'm a newbie here, I have been playing for a few weeks on PP at 0.5/1. I'll post some stats later, but for now I have a book question.

I gather Warren's book isn't very much liked, and that's fine by me. I've SSHE, TOP, and HFAP on order and will get them soon. However, I picked up Warren teaches Hold'em, and I'm wondering why it's not liked. Is it just plain bad poker? Is it questionable but mostly all right? OK, but not liked because of all the superior quality stuff around? How much of it should I keep for my current play while I wait for the other books to come?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

yeltzen 01-18-2005 07:21 PM

Re: Warren\'s book?

What's the matter with you!?!?!
Don't you know you should only be reading 2+2 books!? Everything else is CRAP!

cowboyzfan 01-18-2005 08:55 PM

Click on this and scroll down to almost the end. Also, I think you should get Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones or Internet Texas Hold'em by Matt Hilger as a first book, before moving on to TOP and SSH.

Mason's book reviews

lostinthought 01-18-2005 10:45 PM

warren may be a bit easier to read at times, but his work is generally junk. I would point out specific examples, but I have since rid myself of the book of his I had.

KenProspero 01-19-2005 12:02 AM

Warren was the first book I bought.

I confess, I began to have problems when he started stereotyping people.

Suggesting women were 'bad' players. All old people are tight passive, etc.

(Assuming I'm remembering the right book).

I put it down, and bought Sklansky's Hold 'em Poker, (not for advanced players). Which I found more to my liking.

Lee Jones or Hilger, are also good beginning books.

deacsoft 01-19-2005 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the matter with you!?!?!
Don't you know you should only be reading 2+2 books!? Everything else is CRAP!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you nothing better to do with your time than rip on 2+2's publishings?

deacsoft 01-19-2005 12:24 AM

I am a big supporter of reading as much about poker as possible (2+2 book, and non-2+2 books alike. However, I have no desire to read anything written by Mr. Warren. From what I have read of his book(s)and from reviews, discussion, and opinions (not only on this site but many other places as well) I believe there is little to gain and much to lose from reading Mr. Warren's books.

yeltzen 01-19-2005 12:28 AM

wtf are you talking about i said everything that isn't 2+2 is crap!

deacsoft 01-19-2005 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf are you talking about i said everything that isn't 2+2 is crap!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's all you ever say in any of your posts (which tend to be completely useless). I sense a large amount of sarcasm in all of these posts. I have also heard that you're some kind of Lee Jones "fanboy" and now have some personal problem with 2+2 because of SSH.

I could be wrong and it, certainly, wouldn't be the first time. If so I apologize.

yeltzen 01-19-2005 12:42 AM

Ohhhh, you "heard" this?
In the twoplustwo.com gossip magazine?