Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   PP's or suited connectors? Which do you choose? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=176592)

TrailofTears 01-13-2005 07:59 PM

PP\'s or suited connectors? Which do you choose?

Okay, so here's a question that I was discussing with friend that left us both unsure so I told him I'd ask on here and see what the consensus was. My question is this:

If you could only be dealt one type of hand for the remainder of your poker days, would you choose a pocket pair or suited connectors? Keep in mind that no other players would ever know that you have this magical gift and that hands would be randomly assigned in terms of values and suits. Is there a definite answer? Does it depend on player style? Table size? Table strength? Please include reasoning behind your choice as I feel both certainly have their merits. If I am an idiot for asking this, feel free to include that as well, but only if you follow it up with one of those smiley face things that indicates sarcasm (?). I have a fragile ego [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Thanks in advance for the input here.

- ToT

Seether 01-13-2005 08:02 PM

Re: PP\'s or suited connectors? Which do you choose?

The implied odds of pocket pairs are far far superior to that of suited connectors.

warlockjd 01-13-2005 08:06 PM

The deeper the money gets and as the skill level of the stackholder increases, the more I like suited connectors. Especially raising with them in LP = pwn3d n00b

Seether 01-13-2005 08:08 PM

yeah but you will flop a set every 8.5 hands, with suited connectors im pretty sure you cant flop a made hand every 8.5 hands.

okayplayer 01-13-2005 08:08 PM

PPs are easier to get money from overpairs/TPTK when you hit a set. They are often better disguised than suited connectors. I think they are much more valuable in short-to-avg stack NL (50-100BB). Suited connectors go up in value with more players (full ring) as well, but until you get to a deep stack game, PPs are MUCH more valuable. In deep stack, I'd probably say either, but may still tend towards PP.

This is real easy to verify as well, just check your PT stats, and I can nearly guarantee everyone's PPs are more profitable than SCs.

warlockjd 01-13-2005 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah but you will flop a set every 8.5 hands, with suited connectors im pretty sure you cant flop a made hand every 8.5 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am thinking of the typical winning party player. One who is capable of laying down AA, and sometimes even a set. It's just too obvious when you are against a set. Sorry but for them I think suited connectors is where it's at.

Also, you (or at least I) make a lot more money doubling off of 3+ buyin stacks, and sets just won't always cut it.

bobman0330 01-13-2005 08:30 PM

Against weak players, small PPs are obscenely profitable. It's sick. Once you have 200+ BBs, then it becomes harder to bust someone with a set, but I've never played at those levels, and almost no SS NL games are spread there, so the answer in this forum has to be the PP

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!! 01-13-2005 08:34 PM

Especially since AA KK QQ are in there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

luggie 01-13-2005 08:58 PM

PP all the way for me.

Skuzzy 01-13-2005 09:34 PM

As a newbie here my opinion counts for nothing, but my stats for last 50,000 hands say pairs are all profitable, suited connectors are only profitable for JT up (overall they are in the red). This looks like either a gaping hole in my game (more than likely) or a question with an obvious answer.