Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Heads up late in home game. Easy call? Easy fold? Neither? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=172768)

slogger 01-07-2005 03:02 PM

Heads up late in home game. Easy call? Easy fold? Neither?

Heads up at the final table of a $50 buy-in home tournament. First pays $385. 2nd pays $255.

There are a total of 85,000 chips on the table.

You get heads up with a solid, not overly tricky opponent (familiar with 2+2). You have about 63k and he has 22k. From the get go, you're chipping away with raises from the SB (and typically showing him pretty good hands when he folds). He's also folding a fair number of rag hands in the SB, so things are looking very good for you.

Blinds are now 1k/2k. You have grinded him down to about 9k, and he has to post 1k of that in the SB.

He pushes his other 8k in. It's 7k more to you. You look down at K6o.

What's the play and more importantly, what are the 3 most important considerations in this decision?

RobGW 01-07-2005 03:42 PM

Re: Heads up late in home game. Easy call? Easy fold? Neither?

I think this is an easy fold. You said he was a solid player, not overly tricky. He most likely has you beat here. He usually folds and then he pushes all in? Don't give him the chance to double up. You are in a dominating position. Just play smart and chip away at him until you win. He is the one that needs to gamble, you don't. You want to be putting him to the test, not the other way around. Considerations I would be thinking of are: my opponents style; a tight heads up player allows you to win all the times when he doesn't have a decent hand as long as you stay the aggressor. Pot odds; here you have to call 7k for a 10k pot, not good enough imo. I'll let some others come up with more considerations.

slogger 01-07-2005 03:49 PM

Thanks for the reply.

On a side note, I'm just wondering about something. Assuming you consider yourself a solid player, what range of hands would you be pushing here?

Remember:
-You have 8k left after posting the 1k (if you fold, you're posting 2k the next hand, leaving yourself with 6k behind).
-Your opponent has 76k in chips.
-Your opponent has been raising your BB 80% of the time since you got heads up (but has shown you decent hands at least half of the times you've folded - e.g., AJ, 66, KQ).

RobGW 01-07-2005 03:56 PM

Re: Thanks for the reply.

Good point: I would probably push with any 2 cards here and hope for the best. He could be doing that, but he could also have a hand. If I were in your position, I would fold the K6 and see if he continues to push. If he does, then you know he has switched gears and you will need to make an adjustment. If he goes back into his tight mode, then just keep raising him until you win.

Potowame 01-07-2005 03:58 PM

In his position he is pushing alot of hands here, a few that you are ahead of , but I wouldn't say by much most you are behind.

In his position Push: Any Two Face, K10 K9 K8
Q10 Possible Q9 J10s 910s
Any Ace
Any Pair

kuro 01-07-2005 04:04 PM

A solid player is probably pushing a pretty large range of hands against you at this point (mid suited connectors, two paints, any pair, king with mid-kickers, ace with mid-kicker). You just can't let the big stack grind you down heads up by raising and you can't pass up these hands hoping for a better random one on the next hand. However, I think a solid player probably has pushed and tried to double up or came over the top of you earlier in an attempt to put you on the defensive.

That said this guy sounds pretty weak-tight if he hasn't come over the top of your raises yet and you've been successful at grinding him down being the aggressor. So put him on a narrower range of hands that he pushs on, a range that is most likely ahead of K6o and muck. Then keep doing what you're doing and grind him down. If he starts pushing pretty frequently obviously you have to adjust what you're willing to call him with.

schwza 01-07-2005 04:35 PM

Re: Heads up late in home game. Easy call? Easy fold? Neither?

i would call. pot odds-wise, you only need to win the hand ~40% to make a call correct. i've played heads up matches where i've had a similar history - i'm stealing a lot, smaller stack is getting whittled down - and small stack pushes a garbage hand like 67. they realize they can't keep folding, so they make a marginal play.

even against a hand like A9, K6 is 37% to win, so you're almost getting proper odds. only a pocket pair >66 or Kx is giving you truly bad odds, and i think you have a sizable chance to be ahead.

if you think the villain will continue making the mistake of folding too much, i'd be even more inclined to call. then if you double him up, you still have a very strong chance to win. and i think that most players will correctly figure out to LAG up their game when very short heads up.

slogger 01-07-2005 04:46 PM

Appreciate the reply.

FWIW, this was my thinking, excatly.

Also, I may have misled a few of the other responders in the initial post. I did intend to suggest that my opponent had yet to raise me. He just wasn't raising me nearly as much as I was raising him. I had folded to at least two or three raises over the course of about 15-20 minutes of heads up play. In fact, I thought he would push with almost any 2 cards at this point, due to the dwindling stack.

Maybe this changes the analysis for a few of the responders above, maybe not. Just though it should be mentioned.

Thanks again.

zaxx19 01-07-2005 05:25 PM

Re: Appreciate the reply.

Why take a chance on a marginal hand and double him up if things are generally going so well.?? Pot odds are less important here than the opportunity costs associated with keeping him short and the strong probabilty he wont be able to double up of you unless you make a mistake. At least thats how I see it. If you are playing an opponent that isnt forcing you to make marginal decisions to beat him...why start making them. Now if this was the 4th time in a row he had pushed...then you probably need to consider calling here.

SossMan 01-07-2005 06:22 PM

Re: Appreciate the reply.

I fold even if I see that he hasn't looked at his cards.