Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   the dubious straight draw (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=170761)

BadBatsuMaru 01-04-2005 06:19 AM

the dubious straight draw

Going strictly by what SSH says, in an 8-handed game, I should be treating it as though the first 2 people had folded, so in UTG+1, I should be calling KJo by the standards of tight games.

So, I make the call, wondering if it's really a good idea, then BAM, the tight player behind me raises.

The flop is paired. It's 2-suited. The fishy SB bets into me, so I'm sure he has 3-of-a-kind or better. I've 4 outs to a straight, maybe 3 if there's a flush draw out there. I could be drawing dead, but that's not very likely, and actually in an 8-handed game with 4 opponents, there's not that good a chance I'm up against the flush draw, either.

Mathematically, I have the odds to see the turn here. Even if I'm only counting 3 outs, I have the implied odds to make the call. What worried me is that the pre-flop raiser would raise again, making it a bad call.

What do you guys think? Good fold?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, Hero calls, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (11 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls.

River: (13.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB

TwoShedsJackson 01-04-2005 06:32 AM

Re: the dubious straight draw

I'd fold KJo in this position, I don't like trouble hands early [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd call the flop bet and fold to a raise behind - MP2 could very well like this flop less than you.

When I hit the straight on the turn I'd start raising but wouldn't go too mad - people love slowplaying on Party and AQ or AT (more likely) would have to be a consideration.

mack848 01-04-2005 06:42 AM

Re: the dubious straight draw

Even a fishy opponent might think that a Q is good enough to bet here, given that two aces are on board. This may mean that you have some K outs.

Many of your outs are tainted, but I think you have enough to see the turn. Your getting 12:1 and if MP2 were to raise - approx. 9:1.