Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   good book for beginning O/8? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=167452)

Bulbarainey 12-27-2004 06:18 PM

good book for beginning O/8?

I've been playing a little O/8 in microlimit from 5c/10c - 50c/1$... and I'd like to be confident enough in my play to play higher up online and actually play it live with the old folks... can anyone reccomend a good book on O/8 to start out with? thanks

Andy B 12-27-2004 06:24 PM

Re: good book for beginning O/8?

High-Low Split Poker for Advanced Players by Ray Zee is all you'll ever need to beat almost any stud/8 or Omaha/8 game.

binions 12-27-2004 06:25 PM

The best 2 I have read:

1. Ray Zee's Hi-Lo book
2. Tenner/Kreiger's O8 book

Bulbarainey 12-27-2004 06:52 PM

thanks for the advice guys, since you both reccomend that Zee book I'll probably get that to start out, hope to see you at the tables when i finish it!

QuickLearner 12-28-2004 12:48 PM

Here are two more resources:

Steve Badger's web site (Google his name)
How to Win at Omaha H/L Poker by Mike Cappelletti

And I agree that the Zee book is the best of the lot.

David BB 12-28-2004 01:48 PM

I just got through How to Win at Omaha High-Low Poker by Mike Cappelletti. This is the best book I have read on O8 - much better than Ray Zee's book which I didn't find very helpful.

gergery 12-28-2004 06:10 PM

Annie Duke's website and Steve Badgers website both have good info. There is a Hutchinson point count system that is also good to help with starting hands.

Tenner's and Capelletti's books are both ok, not great but good to read if you are new. I'd start with Tenner. haven't read Zee's book yet but just got it.

Check out the "other poker" forum too.

--Greg

TightInn 12-28-2004 06:43 PM

Some useful resources (most of this has already been mentioned):
winningonlinepoker.com
Steve Badger's Website
Annie Duke's Site on UltimateBet
Ray Zee's Book

The thing is, though, that while Ray Zee's book was good, after reading the information from the three aformentioned sites and having a fair amount of experience, I didn't really get much out of his book. It pretty much just echoed what I learned, maybe with a bit more description. To be honest, though, after just reading winningonlinepoker and playing a lot, most books I read have been a little disappointing. Even the books that are well done have thus far provided me with little more than echoes of what I already know... When people inform me that they're worth their weight in gold I just don't agree. Maybe it's because any "secrets" in them quickly become common knowledge to pretty much anyone ..