Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Home Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   The Egyptian chip set - I have the new chip designs! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=161564)

TenPercenter 12-13-2004 11:36 PM

The Egyptian chip set - I have the new chip designs!

The proofs are in! I've added three denominations to the set. A round 25¢, an octagon $1,000, and a $5,000 plaque.

I want to get your opinions on the new designs. Below you'll see the current proofs, and some poll questions. Let me know what you think, and be honest! I really want your true opinion, and you WILL NOT hurt my feelings. Feel free to tell me if you like them, but also give me your knit-picky details on what bugs you. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Historical links for the order:

- Updates/discussions for the order process (Once final proofs arrive and we start the order process, all discussions will move here.)

- 3.0 - With the $1 chip!

- 2.0 chip design thread

- Discussions for the $1 chip

- 1.0 , The first version...

Ten

The new proofs:

http://thecagles.com/pix/proofs2.gif

[BTW, I don't know what's up with the edgespots, I'm calling them tomorrow to ask. I can't tell what they were trying to show me with the octagon and the plaque...]

Original proofs:

http://thecagles.com/images/16546Lig...s3-cropped.gif

mmbt0ne 12-13-2004 11:39 PM

Re: The Egyptian chip set - I have the new chip designs!

What happened to the vultures on the plaque?

Lumpy 12-13-2004 11:47 PM

I think they look great. I also thought the plaque was going to have more designs on it. I hope the edge spots on the octagon and plaque can be jazzed up a little. This is definitely a fantastic set!! If I had boatloads of cash to burn I would order a set.

Now we need to get Jeremy to do a purple horse shoe plaque for the "Suits"!

TenPercenter 12-13-2004 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What happened to the vultures on the plaque?

[/ QUOTE ]

Still up in the air on adding more to the plaque. Tell me what YOU think...

Ten

elwoodblues 12-14-2004 12:03 AM

The one thing that jumped out at me about the plaque was the upside down denomination. If you are going to have it be able to be read from either the top or bottom, I would do a mirror of the image or have an image that doesn't have a clear top/bottom. Just my .02.

SpaceMonkey9 12-14-2004 12:03 AM

Hmm. I haven't posted much, but I loved your original designs, and was thinking about getting in on your group buy, but the timing wasn't right. I've been antcipating seeing these proofs for a couple weeks, as I'm interested in your reorder next month or so.

That being said, I'm a little disappointed by these proofs. I like the colors. I think the ankh is a bit too ornate, especially the center of the loop being filled in. Plus it's just a 0.25 chip/ seems a bit much compared to the $1 and $5 chips. Dunno. Nice blue though.

Anubis looks great, and the orange is a perfect color for the chip! Is the edge design really mostly white with orange spots? Is that just to distinguish the higher valuations ($1000/$5000)? I'd argue that the shape differences are enough of a difference. I like the larger size and the octagon shape, but also wouldn't mind it being round. I'd say I'm personally 70% for/30% against the octagon shape.

I also thought the plaque would be more ornate, with the vultures you posted. I also was expecting a horizontal design, like a dollar bill I guess. I'd like to see more deisgn on the plaque and a smaller mask.

Hope this is helpful, it's an amazing set!!!

TenPercenter 12-14-2004 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm. I haven't posted much, but I loved your original designs, and was thinking about getting in on your group buy, but the timing wasn't right. I've been antcipating seeing these proofs for a couple weeks, as I'm interested in your reorder next month or so.

That being said, I'm a little disappointed by these proofs. I like the colors. I think the ankh is a bit too ornate, especially the center of the loop being filled in. Plus it's just a 0.25 chip/ seems a bit much compared to the $1 and $5 chips. Dunno. Nice blue though.

Anubis looks great, and the orange is a perfect color for the chip! Is the edge design really mostly white with orange spots? Is that just to distinguish the higher valuations ($1000/$5000)? I'd argue that the shape differences are enough of a difference. I like the larger size and the octagon shape, but also wouldn't mind it being round. I'd say I'm personally 70% for/30% against the octagon shape.

I also thought the plaque would be more ornate, with the vultures you posted. I also was expecting a horizontal design, like a dollar bill I guess. I'd like to see more deisgn on the plaque and a smaller mask.

Hope this is helpful, it's an amazing set!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the comments. For everyone: I'm not ignoring your comments. Before I discuss too much, I want to get more opinions from the "folks" before I post my own.

Let me tell everyone right away: PM me your name and email if you want to be put on my email list for order updates. There are 30 people on it already so a group order looks imminent. (there are still no hard prices or dates, but there will be within a couple of weeks.)

Ten

PinataUT 12-14-2004 01:33 AM

Overall the set looks great.

If I was ordering a set (not likely, but not because it isn't a great set!), and I had the choice of an 'octogon' $1000 chip and a regular (fits in my case, shuffles) $1000 that fit the motif, I'm not sure that I'd pick octogon.

I think you're handling the denoms well. A $.50 wouldn't help that many people and those that want quarters can grab them if they want 'em. (Maybe there are more of those than I'm expecting)

Jaquen H'gar 12-14-2004 01:38 AM

My opinions:

I don't like the octagon. I would go for a round chip, perhaps 42mm. Annubis looks great except isn't his body color too close to the background color of the chip?

The plaque should be horizontal with the picture (like a dollar bill). I would put Tut in the middle, and smaller pics of vultures or pyramids or something on either side with $5000 in upper right corner and lower left, both right side up. As it stands, the upside down $5000 doesn't look good. All of this or perhaps this chip should be the octagon with just Tut and $5000 denomination. Or, this should be the 42mm with the $1000 being a normal sized round chip.

The Ankh is too decorative, perhaps because the center of the ring is filled in.

The key, I would think, is to avoid overkill. The other chips are beautiful because of the pics/colors and the simplicity.

PinataUT 12-14-2004 01:38 AM

Also I wish all the "CI" could be as subtle as the $1 chip