Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   What is a good Johnny Cash album/song? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=160246)

wacki 12-10-2004 05:36 PM

What is a good Johnny Cash album/song?

I've been listening to "When the man comes around" (from Dawn of the Dead Soundtrack) and I really really like that song. A really good song to listen to while playing poker. What other songs of his are good? Albums?

jakethebake 12-10-2004 05:41 PM

Re: What is a good Johnny Cash album/song?

A Boy Named Sue...

My Daddy left home when I was three.
He didn't leave much for Ma & Me,
`Cept this ol' guitar and a empty bottle of booze.
I don't blame him 'cause he run and hid,
But the meanest thing that he ever did,
was before he left he went and named me sue.

Yes, I do know the whole song. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

jakethebake 12-10-2004 05:44 PM

Oh yea. And Johnny Cash at San Quentin is my favorite. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

razor 12-10-2004 05:45 PM

this is a decent start...

albums:

American Recordings
Unchained
Solitary Man
The Man Comes Around
Love God Murder
At Folsom Prison

MelchyBeau 12-10-2004 05:46 PM

Folsom Prison Blues, very good song.

Melch

Benjamin 12-10-2004 05:46 PM

His 1996 album Unchained is pretty great, with a great cover of Soundgarden's 'Rusty Cage'. His cover of NIN's 'Hurt' that came out last year (or 2002?) gives me chills: find the video on the web. Awesome.

The box set 'Love, God, Murder' is an awesome retrospective that came out in 2000, with a disc on each of those themes. 'Murder' rules. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

B.

ThaSaltCracka 12-10-2004 05:51 PM

duh

"The Man in Black"

go buy a greatest hits cd, Johnny is the man! He has some really funny songs, such as "One piece at a time" and then he has some real sad and serious ones, "Ballad of Ira Hayes" "sunday morning coming down"

and of course, the best one "(Ghost) riders in the sky"

nothumb 12-10-2004 05:52 PM

Well, there's old JC and there's new JC. I like 'em both. Almost everyone on earth should like old JC, if they don't they need a swift kick in the nuts. I can see why some people didn't like the stuff he did with Rubin, but I do.

Best old Johnny Cash IMHO are the live albums at Folsom Prison and San Quentin. I think side B of the San Quentin album, with him playing Wanted Man right after he and Dylan wrote it, and Carl Perkins sitting in on Boy Named Sue and Peace in the Valley, and great versions of "He Turned the Water into Wine" and "Daddy Sang Bass," might be the best live country/rock/folk side ever recorded.

There are a number of Cash best-of compilations that are pretty good introductions to the old stuff as well.

The new stuff (like When the Man Comes Around) are from American Recordings. The best stuff he did on American is all on the last disc of 'Unearthed,' a five-disc set of unreleased material, outtakes, and the best-of disc. If you're not a huge fan already, though, you might not be that interested in the other four discs. Of his 4 releases on American there are good songs on all of them as well as some weak ones. I've taken my favorites and made my own CDs of his newer stuff, or I listen to Disc 5 of Unearthed a lot.

NT

jakethebake 12-10-2004 05:56 PM

The Highwaymen albums that he made with Willie, Waylon 7 Kris are o.k. too, but not the best from any of them.

ThaSaltCracka 12-10-2004 05:57 PM

"Daddy Sang Bass" seems very gay upon the first listen, then you hear it again and you are hooked, makes you wanna clap your hands and sign along. Johnny Cash might very well be the best modern American musician. His songs are timeless man.