Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Recommend a book for the psychology of the game. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=160230)

crockett 12-10-2004 05:04 PM

Recommend a book for the psychology of the game.

I'm looking for a book that deals with the mental mindset of playing poker. I'm a winning player but trying to improve. My three bigges downfalls are.

1. Making poor decisions in attempts to get even before ending a session.
2. Making poor decisions against opponents who have beaten me in previous pots. Almost as if I'd like to "get them."
3. Tilting after a few suckouts in a short period of time.

The book doesn't necessarily have to focus on poker but it would be nice if it did.

Possibly a book that works on keeping your mind focused on the task at hand and not allowing other things to distract you from making the "correct" decisions.

Thanks...

stenaf 12-10-2004 05:33 PM

Re: Recommend a book for the psychology of the game.

Haven't read it myself, but I've heard good things about "The Psychology of Poker" by Alan N. Schoonmaker.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&n=507846

nolanfan34 12-10-2004 05:35 PM

I haven't read Dr. Al's book but I know it's recommended.

I think "Inside the Poker Mind" by John Feeney is a really good book too. Touches on all kinds of topics, including the three that you mention.

Big Country 12-10-2004 06:44 PM

Both of the above reccomended books are good.

I have also heard, though I have not read it, that Zen and the Art of Poker (title is at least similar to that) may also address the points you are looking at working on. perhpas someone that has read this book can comment.

schroedy 12-10-2004 06:52 PM

Zen and the Art of Poker is by far the best on the topics that the original poster mentioned.

Dr. Al's book is good for categorizing the "styles" of other players (and yourself).

There is a book called "P$ychology of Poker P$ymplified" or something similarly stupid that provides food for thought about what is motivating the decisions of many players at the table (for most of 'em, fortunately, it ain't profit -- my favorite is the guy drawing to his flush when he can see I have a boat [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

Photoc 12-10-2004 07:09 PM

I have read Psych of Poker and the book is excellent. Actually had to go through a couple spots more than a couple times to make sure that I fully understand everything that is being said. You won't be disapointed with this one.

Crix 12-10-2004 07:39 PM

I preferred 'Inside the Poker Mind' by John Feeney over 'The Psychology of Poker'. It helped me out with a lot of the same type issues that you have at the moment. Well written and an enjoyable read.

deacsoft 12-10-2004 08:16 PM

Psychology of Poker by Schoonmaker- Read it. Loved it.
Inside the Poker Mind by Feeney- Read it. Loved it.
Zen and the Art of Poker by Phillips- Read it. Liked it.

As previously stated Zen would be the most fitting book for what you're looking for, but all three listed are worth having in you collection. Get them all, but maybe just get Zen first.

johnnybeef 12-10-2004 08:39 PM

Check these articles by Dr. Alan Schoonmaker, i had problems with tilting and these helped me out quite a bit.

Anger Management

good luck
johnny

Cat 12-11-2004 12:58 AM

Zen and the Art of Poker every time. Really, really good on all the topics you mention, especially how to stop yourself tilting. Schoonmaker I found basic in the extreme, not very helpful. Feeney I found overspecific, though there is some good stuff in there.