Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   JJ in late position (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=156347)

zram21 12-02-2004 12:09 PM

JJ in late position

No good reads on the villan in this hand other than he won a decent sized pot in one of his first few hands at the table without having to show down.

Hero ($32)
BB ($35)

Party Poker $25 NL Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is the CO with J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, 2 folds, Hero raises to $2, 2 folds, BB calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls.

Flop: ($6.75) T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets $6, BB calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($18.75) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, Hero...

I am not sure how to attack this. Was my play up until the turn ok? I try not to put too much faith in "time tells", but for what it's worth the BB very quickly called the $6 bet on the flop.

BobboFitos 12-02-2004 12:26 PM

Re: JJ in late position

[ QUOTE ]

Turn: ($18.75) A (2 players)
BB checks, Hero...

I am not sure how to attack this. Was my play up until the turn ok? I try not to put too much faith in "time tells", but for what it's worth the BB very quickly called the $6 bet on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that's not a bad turn card. Since there are no flush draws on the flop he couldn't have paired his Ace with an Ace/x suited, so the only fear is if he has AT. (Or... I guess... A7 or A4, but less likely so) I'd fire again for value. He very likely could have KT, QT, JT, 89, 56, some underpair he doesn't want to release. Make it like 9 more on the turn and check behind the river. But im not 100% about 1/2 pot or checking behind river. On party 25 you can bet many many more hands for value, and I think you can do that here.

Up to the turn looks really standard. If anything I would've bumped PF to 6x BB because there are 2 limpers behind you, but 4x BB is still fine. I probably wouldn't have potted it on the flop, prolly gone an even 5. But really your line looks fine and the only differences are slight.

FeelGoodAboutHood 12-02-2004 12:44 PM

If you bet the turn he calls and checks the river, I think you have to bet it. If that A helped him he'll either check-raise you on the turn or bet out on the river.

On another hand, I think that A may scare him as much as it does you, it's possible he may fold the turn.

That being the case, I don't mind a turn check and a call/value bet on the river. If he has two pair, he just missed a check raise, and will probably give you an inexpensive showdown on the river. If he only has a T, he'll probably check and call after you showed weakness on the turn.

zram21 12-02-2004 01:41 PM

You mentioned calling the river if I checked the turn. It seems I should have bet the turn, but I did in fact check. Does the rest of the hand seem correct after I check?

Turn: ($18.75) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB pushes all-in $27, Hero folds.

Should I have called there? It seems like my turn check might have induced a bluff or made villan confident his pair of Ts was good. It seems like the bet is just too big to call though. I guess the turn check set me up for this to happen though.

AncientPC 12-02-2004 02:15 PM

Bet $10 on the turn.

Check fold the river.

creedofhubris 12-02-2004 02:51 PM

Preflop and flop are fine.

Turn, it's 50/50 bet or check.

River, call a reasonable bet if you checked, check behind if you bet.

damn_river 12-02-2004 03:14 PM

i would bet about $9.00 on the turn. if he has you beat, he will probably raise, in which case, id probably fold. if he calls, hope he checks to you on the river.
-river