Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   How much do poker dealers make? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=155910)

BusterFlush 12-01-2004 04:37 PM

How much do poker dealers make?

I am curious as to how much poker dealers make on a hourly basis. I play often at BM and UG cardrooms. It seems as if the hourly rate is pretty good with 30 hands or so an hour at $1.00/hand.
Do the dealers keep all of this or does the house take a cut?

zaxx19 12-01-2004 04:58 PM

Re: How much do poker dealers make?

UH iLL tell you this they dont make 30 bucks an hr sorry.

That would be 60k a yr and they dont make close to that except in a very very nice room like say Borgata or Bellagio. Remember they deal tourneys there is downtime...not every hand is toked...its probably like 17-20 bucks an hr.

TakeMeToTheRiver 12-01-2004 06:12 PM

UG? like NY card rooms? My understanding is that they pay the house a small amount to deal (less than $20) and they keep all their tips. I have been told that in a ten hour shift on a busy night, they can make about $200 to $300. Remember, dealers will typically be off a 1/2 hour at least once every two hour period.

Keres 12-01-2004 06:24 PM

at foxwoods all dealers share tips and the toke rate last I heard from a dealer about a month ago was $14/hr. They get that in addition to their wage which is the minimum ($5 something an hour)

When they work overtime, they only get time and a half on the minimum wage part, not the toke part.

Chipr777 12-01-2004 07:11 PM

There are a lot of factors involved in how much a dealer makes. I highly doubt you'll find anyone that'll come on here in a public forum and announce how much they make dealing poker. Any player that plays in a B&M cardroom can get a rough estimate of how much a dealer makes. If a dealer avarages $1 a hand, takes a 1/2 hour break every 2 hours or so, and works a 8 hour shift? There you go. It is a well playing job.

Equal 12-01-2004 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When they work overtime, they only get time and a half on the minimum wage part, not the toke part.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are talking about? When my dealer is working overtime, I make sure to tip time and a half. You mean I'm the only one that does this?

Justin A 12-01-2004 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are talking about? When my dealer is working overtime, I make sure to tip time and a half. You mean I'm the only one that does this?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that when you tip $1.50, it takes time for the deal to chop your second chip. This brings the hands per hour down to about 2/3 of what it normally is, so they break even anyways.

Eldon 12-01-2004 08:16 PM

Also the weekly hours rarely work out to 5 X 8 = 40. Early outs and downtime costs most dealers a (potential) bundle. Poker dealers that keep their own tips are hurting financially when not dealing unlike BJ dealers that typically pool tips.

Sparks 12-01-2004 10:06 PM

I talked to a Bellagio dealer once and he told me they make $8/hour, plus their tips. In Southern California, I'm pretty sure a percentage of the dealers' tips go to the floor men - I think I heard it was 15% or something.

Sparks

lowroller 12-01-2004 10:32 PM

That's only in LA...Indian joint dealers don't kickback.