Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Did Gay Marriage Sink Kerry? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=144249)

El Barto 11-03-2004 07:35 AM

Did Gay Marriage Sink Kerry?

In Ohio and nine other states, Gay Marriage was soundly defeated.

How many religious folks would have stayed home if not for these ballot questions?

fujowpai 11-03-2004 07:50 AM

Re: Did Gay Marriage Sink Kerry?

Only one of Karl Rove's tried-n-true tactics.

Utah 11-03-2004 09:03 AM

I think gay people sunk gay marriage, hurt Kerry, and drastically hurt themselves in the process.

I am pro gay marriage, but the actions of the gay rights supporters has been unbelievably bad, counter to US laws, and completely lacked a read on the political climate towards gay marriage.

Jimbo 11-03-2004 09:07 AM

Kerry sunk Kerry. When the majority of the people casting their vote for Kerry were really voting against Bush how could he expect to win?

Jimbo

mmbt0ne 11-03-2004 11:12 AM

Well, I voted for Bush, and against defining marriage as strictly between a man and a woman, and talking to friends of mine, I'm in the vast minority. I don't think that the gay marriage issue is what got people out to vote though, those who wanted to vote for Bush were voting for Bush regardless of what else was up for decision.

vulturesrow 11-03-2004 11:14 AM

I dont think it was what sunk Kerry. Here is the relevant information for those who are interested:

The states and their winning totals, with a majority of precincts reporting, include:

Arkansas - 74 percent
Georgia - 77 percent
Kentucky - 75 percent
Michigan - 61 percent
Montana - 66 percent
Mississippi - 85 percent
Ohio - 62 percent
North Dakota - 75 percent
Oklahoma - 74 percent
Oregon - XX percent
Utah - 73 percent

Of the 11 states, eight also barred recognition of civil unions, domestic partnerships, or other same-sex replicas of marriage. Mississippi, Montana and Oregon voted only on a man-woman definition of marriage.

lorinda 11-03-2004 11:16 AM

Pardon my ignorance again, but who decides which ballots go on which state's papers?

Lori

vulturesrow 11-03-2004 11:18 AM

It varies from state from state is really the best answer I can give you. Some states make it very easy to get various things on the ballots, Washington being a good example. In other states it takes more work.

TomCollins 11-03-2004 11:34 AM

Most come through petitions and if enough valid people sign, they make it on.

ChristinaB 11-03-2004 01:34 PM

It was a strategic mistake to make a big deal about this issue in a Presidential election year. Par for the course for Democrats unfortunately.