Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   AK in a large pot...how do you protect your hand? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=143008)

Irishboy 10-31-2004 08:41 PM

AK in a large pot...how do you protect your hand?

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

reads:
MP2 is Laggy and SB is very loose

Preflop: Irishboy is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Irishboy raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">Irishboy caps</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (20 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Irishboy bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Irishboy bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (17.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Irishboy calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB folds.

Ok, my questions are...
1. do you like the cap pre-flop?
2. How can you protect this hand? MP2 3-bet me, so check raising will get a lot more money in the pot but wont chase out anyone since I will be last to act after he (presumably) bets. With 20 sb's in the pot, my opponents have the odds to call with almost anything on the flop and a WHOLE lot of hands on the turn.

Suggestions appreciated.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 21.50 BB, between Button, BB, Irishboy and MP2.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB (21.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB has Qs Js (full house, jacks full of threes).
Irishboy has Ks Ad (two pair, aces and jacks).
MP2 has 9h 9c (two pair, jacks and nines).
Button has 4s As (two pair, aces and jacks).
Outcome: BB wins 21.50 BB. </font>

mmcd 10-31-2004 09:21 PM

Re: AK in a large pot...how do you protect your hand?

You don't "protect" this hand, you try to get them (all of them) to put in as much as possible. Your opponents have a little more than 5 outs total against you (3 4's, 2 9's, and QJ's goofball runner-runner possibilities.

You absolutely do not want any of your opponents to fold.

Irishboy 10-31-2004 09:27 PM

99 and A4 have odds to call the flop
A4 and QJ have odds to call the river

I DO want them to fold

Peter_rus 10-31-2004 10:03 PM

It's pretty standart. Preflop cap is fine. There is nothing to discuss in the rest of hand.

TheCodeDog 10-31-2004 10:06 PM

There's no protection against someone that will call a cap pre-flop with QJs, completely miss on the flop, and still continue.

skipc 10-31-2004 10:32 PM

there is no protection, just unlucky runner-runner. you played the hand correctly.

good luck
skipc

Chris Daddy Cool 10-31-2004 10:36 PM

just to get it right, QJ at no point in this hand had odds to draw out against you. On the flop, OR ON THE TURN.

Entity 10-31-2004 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
99 and A4 have odds to call the flop
A4 and QJ have odds to call the river

I DO want them to fold

[/ QUOTE ]
99 and A4 do have odds to call the flop, but QJ doesn't. None of them have odds to call the turn; betting protects your hand just fine.

Rob

na4bart 10-31-2004 11:04 PM

I see nothing at all unusual here. About all you can hope for is to be raised on your immediate left in the way of protection.

JPolin 11-01-2004 01:48 AM

There is nothing you can do about the chase, except fold on the river. It is highly unlikely that the player is bluffing when opening into four opponents in a large pot.