Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   NOT raising with AK in BB (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=142871)

vandalay 10-31-2004 12:46 PM

NOT raising with AK in BB

I was playing, and 4 hands ago, this calling station called me down with a K4 and hit the King on the river against my QQ.

I had been watching, and he will not lay down a hand.

He limped, everyone folded to me in the BB and I have AK...
I raised, missed the flop and he bet, I folded...

I am thinking that I should NOT have raised, as if I HIT, he is going to pay me off anyway. No reason for me to put extra money in the pot considering I have zero chance of winning because of the raise.

What od you think?

bisonbison 10-31-2004 12:48 PM

Re: NOT raising with AK in BB

your thinking is bad.

he will limp with everything and call you down with anything. You must raise.

pokerkai 10-31-2004 12:50 PM

So wrong...your thinking about it the wrong way. AK is a great hand, you dont have to hit, he does. Make him pay to see cards.

IndieMatty 10-31-2004 12:53 PM

You want to make EVERYONE pay you off. You will hit more often then not; best hand pre-flop; etc. etc.

IndieMatty 10-31-2004 12:56 PM

Just as I posted....An Example.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Button folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

vandalay 10-31-2004 01:01 PM

I have found that me calling people down with AK (even heads up all the way), is by far my biggest leak.

Well over 2 BB because of this leak. I am trying to plug this leak.

vandalay 10-31-2004 01:03 PM

Re: Just as I posted....An Example.

That is great with multiple oppoents that CAN be bluffed, or will fold.

I am talking about just 1 person, who WILL pay you off if you hit, but will not fold if you miss. You only hit 1/3 times (same for him) with his 69 junk he was playing

IndieMatty 10-31-2004 01:12 PM

Re: Just as I posted....An Example.

You're not getting it. Even if you were playing him heads up (which you are not). You still raise because it's the best hand. As PokerKai said, HE has to hit something, not you.

SCfuji 10-31-2004 01:13 PM

so if these passive calling stations only bet when they have any pair on the board, your AK high is not going to win so take a deep breath and realize that your 2SB preflop are gone (for now) and fold and rape them the next time you get AK.