Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Help! Running Bad! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=142636)

1p0kerb0y 10-30-2004 06:04 PM

Help! Running Bad!

Hey guys. I play 4 tables of the Party Poker 2/4. I recently hit a VERY bad run, over 150 BB. I am posting hands for analysis (elsewhere), but I believe that my play during this period was very good. Are runs as bad as this common? What are some of the worst runs you all have experienced? Thanks for the advice.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!! 10-30-2004 06:11 PM

Re: Help! Running Bad!

The worst i ran was +665$ in 28.5k hands at 3/6.

Reef 10-30-2004 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wait, so being up $665 is horrible for you? Please teach me!

As for being down 150 BB, it's called variance. Most players will tell you that they've swung this much in a day many times

dogmeat 10-30-2004 08:15 PM

This question is asked and answered all the time. Try the search function if you want details. Yes, it is common for players to experience runs like this (hence D. Sklansky and other's belief that a winning player needs a bankroll of 300x the big bet for the game they play) and the weaker you are, the more often they will happen and the larger bankroll you need.

Note: Your play during this period may indeed be good, but probably you have played worse than you think, thus exasperating the problem.

Advice: Take a day off, enjoy something else and then come back to your game - maybe consider dropping down a limit until your play/results improve.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Blarg 10-31-2004 12:11 AM

Way too common. Pretty hard to deal with sometimes, that's for sure.

You may find sympathy or empathy regarding it, but no surprise. Hopefully in time one's skill improves and terrible runs become less common, but they're never going to be less than a fact of life.

turnipmonster 10-31-2004 01:02 AM

get used to it, happens all the time. use a big bankroll relative to the limits you're playing and it will bother you less. the key thing to remember is this is going to happen a lot so dealing with it successfully will probably determine whether or not you cna make money playing poker.

Derek in NYC 10-31-2004 01:26 AM

I also recently suffered a -150BB downswing (in 2 days!) Fortunately it came on the heels of a 260BB upswing (in 1 day!) The variance is very frustrating. Take some time off from the game. Tilt will exacerbate downswings.

Mayhap 10-31-2004 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tilt will exacerbate downswings.

[/ QUOTE ]
An entry for the book of 'Terse Pokerisms'.
Well done,
/M

1p0kerb0y 10-31-2004 10:30 AM

Thanks for the advice everybody. I didn't realize that the swings would be this wild! I have been playing for a while, but haven't really multitabled for extended hours with the intent to earn a profit until now. When I began, I went up 250BB and thought that I was really good! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] No, I knew it was variance and I thought I could handle the downside, but I didn't think it would be quite as bad as -150BB. What a brutal game this is!

umdpoker 10-31-2004 12:41 PM

"Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wait, so being up $665 is horrible for you? Please teach me!"

well, thats about 100bb at his level for 28k hands. thats a pretty crappy run if you are a good player. .4bb/100h over that loing of a period sux if you are a 2bb/100h++ player. i am actually going through a sorta bad streak right now. only 1.2 bb/100h over 13k hands, where my avg. was over 3 before the run.