Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Open-raised wth A7s, flop action? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=129214)

Gatts 09-28-2004 06:20 AM

Open-raised wth A7s, flop action?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, Hero...

Bez 09-28-2004 06:27 AM

Re: Open-raised wth A7s, flop action?

Folds as the pot is so small.

detruncate 09-28-2004 06:37 AM

Raises. He's less likely to have hit a paired board, and more likely to bet it trying to scare you off. You have 2 overcards to the 6 and a backdoor straight. You also might have the best hand. Let's play back at him and see how he reacts.

doughhater 09-28-2004 08:09 AM

Hero... needs to stop raising with garbage from middle position. A7 suited is a hand that should be played for one bet in pots of 5 or more. In this case, there are 5 people yet to act pf who could actually have a REAL hand. This hand from this postition needs to be routinely thrown away with no callers ahead of you.

As for post flop, you should probably fold. You are rarely way ahead here and can expect to be WAY behind enough times to make it correct to just forget the 2.25 bb in the middle and just get on to the next hand. Yes, it is possible that you have the best hand, but even when you do, your opponent is probably drawing live with any hand that he would bet into you with (57, 79, flush draw).

Gatts 09-29-2004 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero... needs to stop raising with garbage from middle position. A7 suited is a hand that should be played for one bet in pots of 5 or more. In this case, there are 5 people yet to act pf who could actually have a REAL hand. This hand from this postition needs to be routinely thrown away with no callers ahead of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yawn.

runa 09-29-2004 06:48 PM

If the BB got lucky and has an 8 then you're only hope is the backdoor str8 draw.

It seems unlikely that the BB has much more than a flush draw, small PP or possibly a 6. If we can assume this, then your A and 7 outs are still good.

The pot is heads up and raising is not likely to get him to fold in this spot. I would say call, see the turn and hopefully you either pair up or pick up the backdoor str8 draw.

wabe 09-29-2004 06:51 PM

I would raise for information. Find out if he has the 8 or 7. If you get 3-bet, call and wait for the turn to improve.

Gatts 09-29-2004 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the BB got lucky and has an 8 then you're only hope is the backdoor str8 draw.

It seems unlikely that the BB has much more than a flush draw, small PP or possibly a 6. If we can assume this, then your A and 7 outs are still good.

The pot is heads up and raising is not likely to get him to fold in this spot. I would say call, see the turn and hopefully you either pair up or pick up the backdoor str8 draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured BB for random diamonds, since most players can't fold sooted hands, especially since they're already in for half of it.

I decided to call the flop. I was raising most non-diamond turns, and possibly folding if a K/Q/J hit. The turn was a pretty good card for me.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB <font color="purple">(Villain)</font> calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Villain calls.

I probably fold to a 3-bet here.

River: (7.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Villain bets</font>, Hero calls.

IMO, easy call. If he doesn't have the straight or eight, he's folding to a raise, and I'm losing 3 if he has it.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

Results:
<font color="white">BB was caught with his hand in the cookie jar, but runnered his 2 gapper with Qs 4s</font>

sfer 09-29-2004 08:21 PM

Hey Gatts, this depends a lot on what has been going on before this hand. Like your stealing frequency, what kind of hands you've been showing down, whether BB is an aware opponent, BB's aggression postflop, and a million other things. It's hard to say without knowing that information. If my image is strong I will usually raise right on the flop and try to get to the river cheap since you would expect trips to checkraise the flop. Draws will do that a lot too, putting you on missed overcards and trying to semi-bluff you out. If the BB has seen me do this, sometimes I'll just fold (although probably not here since MP2 isn't a pure steal position), and sometimes I'll call intending to raise the turn for a cheap showdown hoping Ace high is good.

And preflop is fine.

EDIT: I should point out, that a lot of the time a flop bet there is either begging for a raise so BB can 3-bet or checkraise the turn or an exceptionally dumb and weak resteal attempt. Something to consider.

Gatts 09-29-2004 09:36 PM

Dave (feel funny calling you sfer, it's awkward to say out loud),

Thanks for the reply, this is more of what I was looking for. BB had just sat down and I don't even have 20 hands on him.

Going more on the range of hands BB could have, a 6, (with or without a diamond, and maybe with three to a straight) 55-22, a gutshot or OESD. Not worried about an eight but it happens.

I figure if I'm behind, I've got a nice draw to 5+ outs, and if I'm ahead, waiting to raise the turn pushes my equity and makes BB put in 2.5 bets to see the river rather than 2, and 2 bets with one card to go.

-Darrel