Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   A simple pre-flop situation (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=127620)

Ulysses 09-23-2004 09:30 PM

A simple pre-flop situation

Decent player raises UTG. He will raise the range of hands most typical 10/20 6-maxers here would. Complete idiot cold-calls. He could have anything and will pay off the max.

Folded to you in SB. You have AJo. Big blind is average to bad, nothing special. Prob 50/50 him calling if you don't 3-bet.

You?

Peter_rus 09-23-2004 09:33 PM

Re: A simple pre-flop situation

I would call.

fyodor 09-23-2004 10:36 PM

I would just call too. On the Button I'm raising but in the SB the bad position makes me just call.

When the flop comes and you miss if you are on the Button everyone often checks to you where you can bet and get some good things to happen - fold people, buy a free card later.

In the SB you can lead out and still get someone to fold but you will almost never buy yourself a free card.

The control you get with a preflop 3 bet is very tenuous in the SB.

TwoNiner 09-23-2004 10:38 PM

I usually call, prepared to fire something across the room if BB hits two pair and beats my aces or jacks.

fnord_too 09-23-2004 10:41 PM

I'm in the just call camp. I'm not crazy about AJo against a raise from a solid utg player, but the presence of one and possibly too poor players in the pot makes me want to see the flop.

Joe Tall 09-24-2004 01:34 AM

I just call in giving your description of the opponents.

Peace,
Joe Tall

samdash 09-24-2004 01:34 AM

I wouldn't usually play AJo here against only the UTG raiser you describe. But with the complete idiot now in the pot I believe you have a call. You don't think UTG raiser will give you enough action when you make a better hand than him, but with the fish now in you figure to get paid off enough the times you make a better hand than the raiser. Also, the player in the bb sounds like someone you want to let in for 1 bet to make a 2nd best hand to your pair of aces or jacks.

Scotch78 09-24-2004 04:31 AM

Just to dissent, and hopefully get some good discussion going . . . I fold. I pretty much take a fold or re-raise approach in the SB, and as most of us agree, this isn't a raising situation. I don't know enough theory (or poker in general) to justify my blind play in terms of EV, but I am showing a profit from the SB, so this might be the one part of poker I understand intuitively :-) Fire away.

Scott

Nikla 09-24-2004 06:07 AM

Call. However I would muck ATo.

PokerNoob 09-25-2004 09:57 AM

Is your intent to get him thinking about what you might have on a coordinated flop to have him lay down a superior hand? Or is it just getting the fish to pay off when you hit your ace and he doesn't have you dominated?