Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Question for RPG Experts (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=118775)

hutz 08-31-2004 12:23 PM

Question for RPG Experts

I have recently resumed playing Baldur's Gate II and find my interest in RPGs rekindled (massive burnout on online poker and the Civilization 3 series of games has likely contributed to this). Of the following, which would you recommend I buy after completing BGII and why:

- Morrowind Game of the Year version (has the base game, expansion, and lots of mods)

- Diablo War Chest (has Diablo, Diablo II, and expansions)

- Neverwinter Nights Platinum Edition (releases in three weeks and, I assume, has the base game and all expansions)

- Icewind Dale Ultimate Collection (base game and all expansions)

The games are all around the same price (~$30), so that's not a consideration. I have not played any of these games before (yes, even Diablo [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] ) and would prefer to get the one most likely to hold my interest the longest through a combination of fun, challenge, and replayability. Whadda you think? Thanks in advance for your help.

illunious 08-31-2004 12:29 PM

Re: Question for RPG Experts

Haven't played all 4, but Diablo II is a great game. Online play can be very addictive, and infinitely replayable, single player is very well done also.

elwoodblues 08-31-2004 12:31 PM

Did you finish Throan Of Bahl (I think it's called) --- expansion game to Baldur's Gate II. It's very good.

Eihli 08-31-2004 12:32 PM

Morrowind if you don't mind single player. Diablo II if you need multiplayer.

ThaSaltCracka 08-31-2004 12:44 PM

are you just playing on the PC?
Neverwinter Nights is al lright.

B Dids 08-31-2004 12:54 PM

Diablo II isn't really an RPG. Fun as hell, but it's just hack and slash.

Neverwinter Knights is very nice. If you like that, you might also check out Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, I'm really enjoying that right now.

fluff 08-31-2004 12:55 PM

If you liked BGII, NWN is from the same developers. Although in NWN you are limited to 1 character + 1 NPC of whom you have very little control of. Maybe 40+ hours of contents for the main game, plus 20 for each expansion. Replayability depends on how much you like to play the same game with different characters.

Morrowind is also very good, with a vast world and great graphics. Very open and convincing story line. Also limited to 1 character, but much more options than NWN. Numerous (100+) side quests and diversions. The game itself is around 40 hours, the side quests and diversion can take over another 40-50 hours to see it all, depending on how much time you want to spend. The expansion packs are great, and add quite a bit to the game, each probably adding another 20 hours.

Diablo is not an RPG in the traditional sense, it is more a hack and slash with stats. You are also limited to one character. In my opinion this game (especially the original) is a rather mindless, click furiously game.

Icewind Dale is not an RPG, but a turn-based strategy game. Sort of an RPG with heavy emphasis on the combat elements.

If I had to choose only 1, I would go with Morrowind.

Additionally, if you want to go beyond the traditional fantasy RPG settings, I would recommend Fallout and Fallout 2. They are contemporaries of the BG series, set in a post apocalyptic wasteland. Easily one of the best RPGs ever written.

Also, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is highly recommended. The game itself is not as long (probably 20 hours), but the graphics, character development, writing and voice acting make up for all that and much more. One of the few games where I felt emotion for the characters, instead of just building up the stats and killing everything. You can also replay at least once, choosing either the dark side or the light side ending.

scotnt73 08-31-2004 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Diablo II isn't really an RPG. Fun as hell, but it's just hack and slash.

Neverwinter Knights is very nice. If you like that, you might also check out Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, I'm really enjoying that right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

KOTOR is my favorite game of all time bar none. cant wait for the new one.

wayabvpar 08-31-2004 01:16 PM

I was seriously disappointed in NWN- I hated the way they handled combat (it was WAY too fast and clicky-not tactical as D&D combat should be), and the editor was far too complex for a casual user.

Morrowind was a lot of fun- you are free run off and explore things as you see fit. Two recommendations- get the strategy guide/hint book, and check out the user mods available on the Net (especially the one that eliminates cliff racers).

D2 has a really fun treasure system, but is mostly mindless clicking and running around. Fun, but limited.

hutz 08-31-2004 01:30 PM

I just ordered Throne of Bhaal today and should have it in hand before I complete Shadows of Amn. I'm taking my time with BGII to make sure I do as much as possible because I don't intend to play it again (certainly not until I've explored some or all of the games mentioned in my original post).