Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Weak tight? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=117288)

ChrisCo 08-27-2004 12:11 AM

Weak tight?

Comments on this hand?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed)

UTG (t1530)
Button (t2640)
Hero (t1260)
BB (t2570)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t1530 (All-In)</font>, Button folds, Hero folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: t1830

donny5k 08-27-2004 01:29 AM

Re: Weak tight?

Um, yes.

willie 08-27-2004 01:47 AM

yes.

gotta take a stab for the money and you're tossin this hand away?

don't really like it.

Gramps 08-27-2004 02:01 AM

It would be less of a mistake (but still a mistake) if it was either of the two big stacks who had gone all-in. In that situation, calling with your JJ and winning would double you up, but no other player would be crippled. Since it's the other short stack pushing all-in, you'd not only double up (plus blind overlay), but you cripple UTG, putting him nearly all-in on the next hand.

UTG only has 5X the BB, he could be pushing all sorts of crap. Even a lot of good hands he could be pushing you're a big favorite against. You HAVE to call this, you'll probably have to make a stand with crap if you don't (or get blinded off).

NL is not a "safe" game, you always have to take risks. There's a lot less risk of getting knocked out on this call that you could reasonably have hoped for in your "make a stand hand" at this juncture.

SmileyEH 08-27-2004 02:07 AM

You will get a lot of thirds folding here. I doubt that is what you want so I'd say it is an easy call - if i'm UTG with 5BB i'm pushing any PP, any ace, high suited kings, and probably JTs - you are way ahead of almost all of this.

-SmileyEH

ChrisCo 08-27-2004 02:29 AM

I forgot to mention that not once did the villain make a raise preflop during bubble play, so the hands he might make the move with are right there with jj. I know if he has a non pair hand it will be a coinflip and I am just as likely to see AA as 1010 so I decided to fold. Also the big stacks were playing pretty wreckless, frequently going all in. I thought with there play and the big stacks looseness that I could get my money in on a better spot. All in all I finished seconds after I lost 2 allin coinflips in the heads up match. Does my laydown make a little more sense? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

VarlosZ 08-27-2004 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
. . . Does my laydown make a little more sense?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I'm afraid not. Most likely your opponent was simply getting a run of bad cards. In any event, he'd have to be truly awful if the range he'd raise w/ is "right there with JJ." You have the 4th best starting hand there is. Unless your opponent has AA-QQ (which he's almost as likely to slowplay at this point), you're either a slight favorite (with good odds from the pot) or a large favorite.

Auto-call.

fatduck 08-27-2004 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I forgot to mention that not once did the villain make a raise preflop during bubble play, so the hands he might make the move with are right there with jj. I know if he has a non pair hand it will be a coinflip and I am just as likely to see AA as 1010 so I decided to fold. Also the big stacks were playing pretty wreckless, frequently going all in. I thought with there play and the big stacks looseness that I could get my money in on a better spot. All in all I finished seconds after I lost 2 allin coinflips in the heads up match. Does my laydown make a little more sense? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on your opponents to "knock eachother out" is not particularly good SnG strategy.

patrick dicaprio 08-27-2004 09:51 AM

doesnt make a difference. this is a push everytime bar none.

Pat

Pubknight 08-27-2004 03:54 PM

I would ask a question back to the original poster:
If you don't call with this hand (and you don't, since you folded), what exactly *would* it take for you call in this situation?