Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Erostratust, I'm calling you out! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=116535)

jwvdcw 08-25-2004 03:44 AM

Erostratust, I\'m calling you out!

Defend your idol Gus Hansen's play on the hand that knocked him out of the WSOP.

Dynasty 08-25-2004 04:47 AM

Re: Erostratust, I\'m calling you out!

Hansen would be a favorite against most hands on that flop.

Ed Miller 08-25-2004 04:58 AM

Defend your idol Gus Hansen's play on the hand that knocked him out of the WSOP.

He flopped a pair and a flush draw.

Cleveland Guy 08-25-2004 08:40 AM

He actually probably should have won the hand.

If I recall correctly, they guy with AQ [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] called Gus's all in after the guy with K10 (top 2) had bet and Gus had raised. He called 2 big bets with the nut flush and an inside straight draw.

If the guy with AQ folded Gus would have won. It was a very agressive play, but won Gus figured he had outs on.

And to Gus's credit, when he lost, he only blamed himself, not the cards, or the other people's play. He knows his style ,and that sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't.

jwvdcw 08-25-2004 02:44 PM

You guys are missing the point. Erostratus, regularly brags about Gus' wins, even when he gets lucky. So since Gus' play totally backfired, and he lost as a huge underdog, I feel obligated to turn the tables on him. And even still, I think it was a poor play.

jwvdcw 08-25-2004 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He actually probably should have won the hand.

If I recall correctly, they guy with AQ [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] called Gus's all in after the guy with K10 (top 2) had bet and Gus had raised. He called 2 big bets with the nut flush and an inside straight draw.

If the guy with AQ folded Gus would have won. It was a very agressive play, but won Gus figured he had outs on.

And to Gus's credit, when he lost, he only blamed himself, not the cards, or the other people's play. He knows his style ,and that sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

thats a very 'results oriented' analysis, which is funny since the results weren't even in his favor. Basically what you're saying is if A.his opponent doesn't make a call like he did and B.The cards do come out like he did, then he'll win. Well, thats true, but if either one of those happen opposite, then he loses.

Cleveland Guy 08-25-2004 02:53 PM

Point taken -

But like I said, Gus knows his style is aggression, and he knew it backfired here. He only blamed himself for this.

Ulysses 08-25-2004 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hansen would be a favorite against most hands on that flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands is he going to be a favorite against after a call and raise of his flop bet?

I believe the board was something like Ks Ts 5h. Gus had 5s 8s.

Against Tc 2h, Gus is an almost exact 50-50 coinflip. Against Tc 2s, Gus is a 53-47 dog. Unless this guy is raising w/ just a draw, Gus won't be a real favorite to anything (and he's a 57-43ish dog to draws like 9sJs, AsQs, etc.). And he has relatively little fold equity here.

I don't like his play after a 50k raise from a big stack who has him well covered and will get something like 3:1 if Gus pushes.

Edited to add: Hand details here. Raise was to 50k, not a 50k raise. General points all still hold.

Ulysses 08-25-2004 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He flopped a pair and a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my response to Dynasty, NPA.

swimfan 08-25-2004 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like his play after a 50k raise from a big stack who has him well covered and will get something like 3:1 if Gus pushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto.