Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   This may be +EV but is it good strategy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=116491)

HoldingFolding 08-25-2004 12:56 AM

This may be +EV but is it good strategy

This has happened to me a couple of times recently and I wonder if I'm playing it correctly for an MTT.

Level 1 or 2 of a cheap PP MTT, lots of limpers, you hold suited low cards in the BB and check. Flop brings 2 more of your suit, but you are raised 4 or 5BB by one limper. Calling is +EV, but if I don't get the flush and get raised, I fold.

I play tight in the first hour so along with blinds and whatever, a couple of hands like this can really make a dent. If I avoided them I'd just need to double up to be comfortable for the mid tourney wheeling and stealing; so should I just fold?

durron597 08-25-2004 12:59 AM

Re: This may be +EV but is it good strategy

You really need to factor in implied odds here. How many chips do you expect to get if you hit your flush? You can't say "his whole stack" every time, because you won't necessarily.

Make sure a play is +EV pot oddswise and implied odds wise before actually making it. Also look at your own stack and make sure you aren't committing too many chips on a draw. And if you are, you can also consider pushing, if you are against a player who you think will fold. Semibluffs are a beautiful thing.

uw_madtown 08-25-2004 01:01 AM

How is this +EV?

4 or 5 BBs bet on the flop with "lots of limpers" and no PF raise -- that sounds like the flop bettor is betting making a 2/3 pot bet or more. No way can it be +EV to chase the flush here.

EDIT: I didn't take into account implied odds -- although I'm not sure how much extra you'll get out of someone when you make your flush. There's also the potential of being beat by a higher flush or boat.

- UW

Potowame 08-25-2004 01:09 AM

Chasing a little flush to a large bet is crippling, You may get there and still be beat. especially with alot of limpers.

Exp: BB 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Limper K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Flop k [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

HoldingFolding 08-25-2004 01:38 AM

I may be mixing EV & implied odds. I don't think you can expect to get much more out of the bettor than another 4BB bet. But if you assumed that wouldn't it be +EV?

Roman 08-25-2004 02:38 AM

drawing to flushes and straights for a significant portion of your stack is a really big mistake. You will find yourself really short after a couple of your 4.5-1 shots dont make it.