Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   20-40 at the TAJ (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=102131)

RollaJ 07-12-2004 02:14 PM

20-40 at the TAJ

Loose EP raises, folded to DV (thats me) in CO-1 I reraise KK, Relatively Solid Player calls in SB, BB folds, EP calls

Flop

Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SP bets $20, EP calls, I raise , Both call

Turn 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Both check to me I bet $40, they both call.

River Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] SP bets $40, EP folds ........now what?

Results in white:

<font color="white"> Well I was sure I just got rivered and I wanted to fold so badly, but I just kept looking at all those chips in the middle. In the end I made the crying call and he of course showed ...TT. I told him how great a bet it was 2-3 times, Ive never come so close to laying down and ending up calling, I was stoked! </font>

nopepper 07-12-2004 02:21 PM

Re: 20-40 at the TAJ

Why call the river bet? If you think you have the hand won..raise...if you think your beat, fold. IMO calling this bet isnt +EV

RollaJ 07-12-2004 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why call the river bet? If you think you have the hand won..raise...if you think your beat, fold. IMO calling this bet isnt +EV

[/ QUOTE ]
WOW............nuff said

Dante 07-12-2004 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising is terrible here....hands that you beat (i.e. TT, JJ, etc) probably won't call and hands that beat you will probably 3-bet (or at worst just call). So when you win, you will generally just win the original river bet and when you lose, you'll lose 3bets (or 2 bets if you plan on folding to a 3bet).

nopepper 07-12-2004 02:48 PM

Dante,

If your playing thinking your beat why call a river bet in the first place. He should just fold then.

Daggs911 07-12-2004 02:48 PM

With roughly $360 in that pot, I think its an easy call. If SP had a Q, you would probably have gotten more action on the flop. You're often beat, but JJ or TT are enough of a possibility to make a call worthwhile, IMO.

_M_

Daggs911 07-12-2004 02:55 PM

"If your playing thinking your beat why call a river bet in the first place. He should just fold then. "

Is this for real?

_M_

chief444 07-12-2004 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your playing thinking your beat why call a river bet in the first place. He should just fold then.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because there is like $400 in the pot and it costs $40 to call. He may be 90% sure he's beat and a call would be correct. I don't understand why you would consider raising this. Do you think a worse hand will call? Do you think a better hand will fold? I don't see either happening.

Personally I think this is a good and fairly easy call on the river (with the nice pot size) although I wouldn't feel too great about winning.

The Bear 07-12-2004 02:59 PM

Getting 12-1, this is an easy call.

Edited to read 12-1 instead of 13-1. Not that it matters.

nopepper 07-12-2004 02:59 PM

I think it is fairly likely that caller is playing mid pp here given the betting patterns. Any q would have brought a raise by the turn for sure...a 5 would also be raised by the turn. Therefore, given this info pp or AK are the only likely hands..rasieing this hand on the river will pay you off in both instances.