Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Probability (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Guess The Lowest Integer, Win $10 !! (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=359651)

10-17-2005 06:59 PM

Guess The Lowest Integer, Win $10 !!

I just read this thread, and I thought it'd be fun to actually give it a go

PM me a positive integer, lowest unique integer wins $10 transferred by UB. One entry per person

Contest ends whenever I sign in on Oct. 20, where I'll post the hisotgram and winner. Good luck!

elitegimp 10-17-2005 08:13 PM

Re: Guess The Lowest Integer, Win $10 !!

bump for great justice. Although if I'm the only one to play, bumping this is a bad idea...

pzhon 10-17-2005 08:29 PM

6 can\'t win.

An important thing to remember is that you won't win if you choose 6. That's because I've already chosen it. If you choose 6, too, then that number won't be unique. All other numbers have a chance to win, though. Good luck.

In the future, you might want to say people are disqualified if they publicly announce their choice like this.

zipppy 10-17-2005 08:37 PM

Re: 6 can\'t win.

[ QUOTE ]
An important thing to remember is that you won't win if you choose 6. That's because I've already chosen it. If you choose 6, too, then that number won't be unique. All other numbers have a chance to win, though. Good luck.

In the future, you might want to say people are disqualified if they publicly announce their choice like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh. unfortunately, 7 people just created dummy accounts that also guessed the number 6. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (me not included, of course)

10-17-2005 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I thought about that, but didn't want to create any bad blood if some one wanted to go against the rules anyway

fuggit though, from now on I declare that anyone who posts their number will be disqualified. phzon's submission of 6 is canceled, but he get's to re-submit another number if he wants (which can be 6 if he wants)

Larimani 10-17-2005 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just read this thread, and I thought it'd be fun to actually give it a go

PM me a positive integer, lowest unique integer wins $10 transferred by UB. One entry per person

Contest ends whenever I sign in on Oct. 20, where I'll post the hisotgram and winner. Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great idea. I have one request though... Could you publish a list of all the numbers that were chosen with their frequencies at the end of the contest. I'm really interested in the results of the distribution.

edit: nvm. I should have read your OP more carefully. A histogram would be perfect.

EnderW27 10-17-2005 10:08 PM

Heh. Good one.

SumZero 10-18-2005 06:38 AM

Hmm, this is harder than OP as you don't know how many people are playing the game. My choice would be different if ~10 play than ~100 than ~1000.

elitegimp 10-18-2005 07:29 PM

no message,

just another bump

bobdibble 10-18-2005 07:36 PM

We need to know how many people will be playing before we submit our numbers to play this optimally.